UK Regulator Ofcom Rejects OnlyFans' Complaint About Unfair Treatment by the BBC

UK Regulator Ofcom Rejects OnlyFans' Complaint About Unfair Treatment by the BBC

LONDON — U.K. communications regulator Ofcom has rejected a formal complaint from OnlyFans, which alleged unfair treatment during a 2022 BBC report about its moderation practices.

The BBC aired the segment, titled “OnlyFans Uncovered” and described as “an investigation,” on its Newsnight program and online through its iPlayer service.

The BBC report reproduced statements by an anonymous source identified only as “a senior U.S. investigator,” who claimed to have found images of minors on OnlyFans.

The BBC reported Monday that it had agreed “not to identify the investigator, who redacted account usernames to protect their investigation.”

According to OnlyFans’ complaint to Ofcom, the BBC acted unfairly by refusing to provide details about the images, such as account handles or URLs, the BBC reported.

“This information, it argued, would have enabled it to find out if the images had ever been posted on the platform, or if they had, how quickly they had been removed or reported,” the BBC report noted. “OnlyFans said that this had denied it a meaningful right of reply and left viewers with a misleading impression of its safety efforts.”

Ofcom, however, rejected the complaint on Monday, finding that “OnlyFans had been provided with sufficient information to understand the nature of the allegations and given an appropriate and timely opportunity to respond,” BBC reported.

Earlier this month, Ofcom opened a separate investigation into “whether adults-only website OnlyFans is doing enough to prevent children accessing pornography on its platform,” Reuters reported.

An Ofcom rep told Reuters, “Having reviewed submissions we received from OnlyFans in response to formal information requests, we have grounds to suspect the platform did not implement its age-verification measures in such a way as to sufficiently protect under-18s from pornographic material.”

U.K. politicians routinely use such allegations in the media to justify government regulation of free speech online. The BBC also has a history of broadcasting sensationalist “porn panic” stories, routinely quoting anti-porn activists without questioning their claims.

As XBIZ reported, in 2021, BBC News’ education editor published a tendentious report advocating government censorship of adult material, cherry-picking a variety of questionable sources. One example was a man identified only as a concerned parent, who turned out to be a clergyman with an active campus ministry, who posted YouTube sermons about the evils of pornography.

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches by Country for June, July

AEBN has released the list of popular searches from its straight and gay theaters, by country, for June and July.

Appeals Court Upholds Section 230 Immunity in XVideos Case

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit has upheld a lower court’s ruling that Section 230 protects WebGroup Czech Republic from liability in a case involving user-uploaded CSAM on its tube sites.

Aylo Moves to Settle Two 'Children of Pornhub' Class-Action Lawsuits

Aylo has agreed to terms for a settlement with the plaintiffs in two long-running class actions over allegations that former Pornhub parent company MindGeek knowingly allowed and profited from CSAM on its sites.

Tigerlilly Launches 'SugarCoatedSweethearts' Through PAYSITE

Tigerlilly has launched SugarCoatedSweethearts.com through PAYSITE.

ASACP Marks 30-Year Anniversary

ASACP is celebrating 30 years of operation, during which it has received over 1.3 million reports from web admins and the public about suspected child pornography.

AEBN Announces Isiah Maxwell as Top Male Boy/Girl Performer for Summer 2026

AEBN has revealed its top 10 male Boy/Girl performers for summer 2026, with Isiah Maxwell landing atop the leaderboard.

JMan Launches AI Companion Solution for Adult Websites

Online industry veteran JMan has launched Orkestrait, an AI companion solution designed specifically for adult websites.

Johnny Sins Launches 'Fangate' Platform for Account-Free Content Sales

Johnny Sins has officially launched Fangate, a platform that allows creators to sell content directly to fans without requiring a user account or subscription.

TSBlondieNYC Launches Official Website Through PAYSITE

TSBlondieNYC has launched an official website through PAYSITE.

Creator and Sexual Wellness Brand Marketplace Platform 'Teasr' Launches

Teasr, an online marketplace for creators and sexual wellness brands that focuses on live-selling and video product demonstrations, has officially launched.

Show More