DirecTV Blames Weak Porn Sales for Pay-Per-View Revenues Dip

NEW YORK — Porn took another hit yesterday as satellite provider DirecTV blamed “lower adult buys” for weaker pay-per-view revenues reported in the company’s second quarter earnings.

According to a Wall Street Journal report, DirecTV customers simply aren’t buying adult content like they have in the past.

The admission follows Time Warner Cable's news last week that a decline in the adult category was responsible for more than a third of a $14 million drop in VOD revenue.

The Journal report said that although porn accounts for only a small portion of Time Warner’s $4.9 billion revenue for the quarter, it’s one of the most profitable segments.

It’s no surprise that free Internet porn is hurting mainstream VOD and pay-per-view, but the Journal said its now causing TV executives to rethink adult content.

Comcast Corp. also noted a slowdown in pay-per-view revenue on its second-quarter earnings call on Wednesday, but a spokesman for the company declined to comment to the Journal regarding porn’s impact.

Playboy TV and its Spice channel have also been hurt, seeing its numbers fall consistently in recent years from $75.8 million in 2007 to $44.4 million in 2010 (its last report since the company went private).

The company said in a 2009 securities filing that the slide reflects the shift to Internet porn and it expects the trend to continue.

According to estimates from research firm SNL Kagan, VOD and pay-per-view porn accounted for about $899 million in revenue for overall, cable, satellite and telecommunications companies that offer TV service in 2010, down from a peak of $1 billion in 2008.

And 2011 forecasts show no growth.

The Journal report said that because TV companies shy away from discussing their porn business, it’s tough to get a handle on how much actually contributes to their bottom line, despite it being a consistent source of profit.

"It's a relevant business simply because of its profitability," Craig Moffett, a cable and satellite analyst at Sanford C. Bernstein, told the Journal.

Vivid Entertainment co-chairman and co-owner Bill Asher said that porn faced little competition when cable and satellite providers started airing it early in 2000. "It was found money" for cable companies, he said. "It was the dirty little secret that nobody talked about."

But now, Asher said, cable providers must compete with the Internet by offering competitive prices and more exclusive content, elements in line with Vivid’s current strategy.

"I don't think you want to get down in the trenches and slug it out with cheap porn on the Internet," Asher said. "Our job is to come up with unique, interesting content, not just more of what's out there."

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Brazzers Launches Model Management Division 'Brazzers Creator'

Brazzers has launched its new full-service model management division, Brazzers Creator, offering content management services across multiple platforms.

Show More