Comcast Criticized for Interference With BitTorrent Traffic

NEW YORK — According to tests conducted by the Associated Press and the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), Comcast Corp. is actively and intentionally interfering with attempts by its users to use peer-to-peer file sharing applications over the company’s network.

According to the EFF, Comcast is forging Transmission Control Protocol Reset (TCP RST) packets that cause connections to drop. In a nutshell, these forged data packets “cause software at both ends to believe, mistakenly, that the software on the other side doesn’t want to continue communicating,” according to a statement issued by the EFF.

Comcast, which according to the AP is the nation’s largest cable TV operator and second largest ISP, has denied that it is interfering with P2P traffic, despite the results of the AP and EFF testing.

“Comcast does not block access to any [websites] or online applications, including peer-to-peer services like BitTorrent,” the company said in a statement. “We have a responsibility to provide all of our customers with a good Internet experience and we use the latest technologies to manage our network so that they can continue to enjoy these applications.”

In an interview with CNET this week, Fred von Lohmann, a senior staff attorney with the EFF, said that based on the EFF’s testing and what had been reported by other sources, “it seems clear that Comcast’s techniques are bad for its customers and bad for innovation generally.”

“The fact that Comcast’s efforts are reportedly interfering with BitTorrent, Gnutella and Lotus Notes communications makes it clear that they are not narrowly targeted at particular users or protocols,” Lohmann said.

Earlier this week, groups that support the idea of legislation mandating network neutrality cited Comcast’s actions as an example of why laws are needed to force companies not to engage in “data discrimination.”

“Comcast’s BitTorrent blocking is the canary in the coal mine for net neutrality — a clear example of an Internet service provider stifling innovation and free speech online,” said Ben Scott, director of the pro-network neutrality group Free Press. “Cable and phone companies like Comcast, AT&T and Verizon should not be allowed to play gatekeeper over legal Internet content.”

Markham Erickson, executive director of the Open Internet Coalition, echoed Scott’s point that ISPs should not position themselves as “Internet gatekeepers” or substitute their own judgment for that of their customers. Erickson asserted that without government regulation to prevent companies from abusing their position as the network operators, improper meddling with disfavored data will continue.

“Without federal rules of the road to provide boundaries to prevent discriminatory behavior, consumers do not know whether the Comcast example is the whole of the problem or the tip of the iceberg,” Erickson said. “What else is being blocked? What unilateral decisions are being made? Congress must act to answer these questions, protect consumers, and re-establish rules that preserve an open Internet.”

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Brazil Invites Public Input on AV Guidelines

Brazil’s National Data Protection Authority (ANPD) on Friday launched a public consultation on developing guidelines for age verification mechanisms under the country’s Digital Statute for Children and Adolescents (Digital ECA), which requires adult websites to age-verify users located in Brazil.

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More