ICM Registry Taps New Legal Counsel

PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla. — .XXX operator ICM Registry has tapped the law firm of Gordon & Rees as its new legal counsel. 

ICM, which previously employed the national law firm WilmerHale for outside legal work, decided on the move after WilmerHale's Becky Burr, known as "ICANN's Godmother," moved over to Internet firm Neustar Inc. as deputy general counsel.

Stuart Lawley, ICM's chief executive, said that upon review of a number of  prominent firms, Gordon & Rees appeared to be the best fit for "ICM’s sophisticated business transaction and litigation needs."

The .XXX operator will closely work with counsel at Gordon & Rees’s Miami office, one of 26 nationwide.

The firm in 2012 was lodged at No. 111 in the National Law Journal's ranking of the 350 largest U.S.-based law firms.

"We are happy to have  such a well-respected national firm with its broad range of expertise located close to our offices,” Lawley said.

Lawley noted that Gordon & Rees senior partner Richard Sybert already has taken over antitrust litigation in the Manwin vs. ICM and ICANN case.

Manwin sued ICM and ICANN last year after it accused the groups of colluding to steer the .XXX top-level domain in the marketplace.

Sybert's legal team will be working in consultation with Bret Fausett, an ICANN policy expert who was the chief litigator in the Coalition for ICANN Transparency vs. Verisign case, which has been cited in Manwin vs. ICM and ICANN.

Fausett represented the Coalition for ICANN Transparency, which had defeated Verisign at the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

The 9th Circuit found Verisign to have violated the Sherman Act by colluding with ICANN to eliminate competition for the registry contract.

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Brazzers Launches Model Management Division 'Brazzers Creator'

Brazzers has launched its new full-service model management division, Brazzers Creator, offering content management services across multiple platforms.

FTC Promises 'Vigorous' TAKE IT DOWN Act Enforcement

The Federal Trade Commission is warning platforms that the agency will strongly enforce the notice-and-removal requirements of the TAKE IT DOWN Act, which go into effect next week on May 19.

STD Hero Joins Pineapple Support as Sponsor

Better Life Science brand STD Hero has joined the ranks of over 70 adult businesses and organizations committing funds and resources to Pineapple Support.

2026 XBIZ Miami Speaker, Open-Floor Conversation Guide Lineup Announced

XBIZ is pleased to announce the release of the full speaker lineup for XBIZ Miami, the latest edition of the adult industry’s premier summer conference, set to take place May 11-14 at the Goodtime Hotel in Miami Beach.

2026 XBIZ Miami Conference Schedule Announced

XBIZ is pleased to announce the release of the full show schedule for XBIZ Miami, set to take place May 11-14 at the Goodtime Hotel in South Beach.

Court of International Trade Rejects Trump 'Replacement' Tariffs

The U.S. Court of International Trade on Thursday ruled that President Trump’s 10% global tariff under the Trade Act of 1974, imposed after the Supreme Court invalidated the administration’s broad “Liberation Day” tariff regime, is illegal — but stopped short of a nationwide injunction against the tariff.

Show More