New York Lawmakers Act to Make Viewing Child Porn a Felony

ALBANY, New York — New York Governor Andrew Cuomo and leaders of the state Senate and Assembly announced yesterday that they've reached an agreement that makes viewing online child porn illegal under state law.

The bill would amend New York's penal law and prohibit individuals from knowingly accessing and intending to view child porn on the Internet.

Last month, the New York Court of Appeals ruled that viewing child porn online doesn't constitute either criminal possession or procurement under state penal law, shocking citizens and causing an outcry of concern from legislators.

The new measure now closes the legal loophole that said individuals who viewed child porn on a website where the images were automatically embedded in a computer does not "possess" the content.

If enacted in New York, anyone purposefully accessing a website with intent to view child porn will be committing a class E felony.

"Today, just a month from the time that citizens of New York and our nation were shocked and offended by a loophole that prevented the appropriate prosecution of individuals who view child pornography, we have effectively changed the law," Senator Martin Golden, a co-sponsor of the bill said.

The new state law now more closely resembles the federal law that can be used when a federal agent is involved in an investigation.

“New York will now conform with federal regulations and rightly classify viewing child pornography as a crime. I commend Governor Andrew Cuomo and my colleagues in the State Legislature because our children, families and all citizens will be safer because of these efforts,” Golden said.

Cuomo said he will sign the law that's expected to pass in both state houses by the end of the legislative session on Thursday.

"Together with my colleagues in the Senate and Assembly, we are taking every precaution to ensure that our children are protected and that justice is served," Cuomo said.

The Association of Sites Advocating Child Protection (ASACP) weighed in on the new proposal.

"ASACP supports legislation that helps to protect children from victimization online and allows for the successful prosecution of those that would abuse them. Clearly, New York's law required change in order to close a loophole which allowed for the viewing of online child pornography as long as the content was not saved / downloaded," executive director Tim Henning said.

He added, "Legislative bodies are continually struggling to keep pace with online technologies that are abused by criminals including those that sexually abuse innocent children. Historically this has always been the case due to the pace at which new online technologies emerge. It is important to note that the new bill closely parallels current federal law — no doubt an effort by New York's lawmakers to be consistent and fair in its approach."

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Brazil Invites Public Input on AV Guidelines

Brazil’s National Data Protection Authority (ANPD) on Friday launched a public consultation on developing guidelines for age verification mechanisms under the country’s Digital Statute for Children and Adolescents (Digital ECA), which requires adult websites to age-verify users located in Brazil.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

FTC Promises 'Vigorous' TAKE IT DOWN Act Enforcement

The Federal Trade Commission is warning platforms that the agency will strongly enforce the notice-and-removal requirements of the TAKE IT DOWN Act, which go into effect next week on May 19.

Court of International Trade Rejects Trump 'Replacement' Tariffs

The U.S. Court of International Trade on Thursday ruled that President Trump’s 10% global tariff under the Trade Act of 1974, imposed after the Supreme Court invalidated the administration’s broad “Liberation Day” tariff regime, is illegal — but stopped short of a nationwide injunction against the tariff.

Show More