Attempt to Dodge Porn BitTorrent Judgment Backfires

FORT WORTH, Texas — Adult studio Corbin Fisher, which went after a Texas man who petitioned a  bankruptcy court to relieve him of a porn BitTorrent judgment, has been awarded a default judgment of more than three times the amount it had sought.

Corbin Fisher earlier this year was successful in its suit against Juan Carlos Mancera for illegally trading its movies on BitTorrent networks. But Mancera petitioned the bankruptcy court to relieve him of any judgment (Corbin Fisher at the time was seeking only $20,000, the amount that Mancera sought to have discharged).

Later, the studio intervened in the bankruptcy proceeding and asked the judge to award a default judgment.

“This judgment dispels the myth that Liberty will not chase a torrenter into bankruptcy court,” Corbin Fisher exec Brian Dunlap said. "Mr. Mancera will now have a $65,000 judgment following him around for at least 20 years, and we intend to have our lawyers pursue him through any and all legal means."

Marc Randazza, general counsel for Corbin Fisher, said that he's heard that some defense lawyers have espoused that Bit Torrent defendants should run to bankruptcy court to get out of infringement awards.

“I have told many of them informally that it wouldn't work," he said. "Bankruptcy is not available for intentional torts, nor for criminal activity. Copyright infringement is both.”

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Brazzers Launches Model Management Division 'Brazzers Creator'

Brazzers has launched its new full-service model management division, Brazzers Creator, offering content management services across multiple platforms.

FTC Promises 'Vigorous' TAKE IT DOWN Act Enforcement

The Federal Trade Commission is warning platforms that the agency will strongly enforce the notice-and-removal requirements of the TAKE IT DOWN Act, which go into effect next week on May 19.

STD Hero Joins Pineapple Support as Sponsor

Better Life Science brand STD Hero has joined the ranks of over 70 adult businesses and organizations committing funds and resources to Pineapple Support.

2026 XBIZ Miami Speaker, Open-Floor Conversation Guide Lineup Announced

XBIZ is pleased to announce the release of the full speaker lineup for XBIZ Miami, the latest edition of the adult industry’s premier summer conference, set to take place May 11-14 at the Goodtime Hotel in Miami Beach.

2026 XBIZ Miami Conference Schedule Announced

XBIZ is pleased to announce the release of the full show schedule for XBIZ Miami, set to take place May 11-14 at the Goodtime Hotel in South Beach.

Show More