Alleged Spammer Hit With $3.95M Judgment

LOS ANGELES — A federal judge has ordered the owner of a Canoga Park, Calif., Internet company to pay $3.95 million for illegally using Microsoft’s trademarks in “typosquatting” spam messages.

U.S. District Court Judge Manuel Real ordered that Daniel Khoshnood stop using Microsoft's trademarks and name, stop spamming, and pay damages and legal fees to the Redmond, Wash., software giant. The suit named Khoshnood and his companies, Pointcom and Joshuathan Investments.

Microsoft filed the civil case against Khoshnood last year claiming that the owner of Pointcom Inc. was abusing Hotmail and MSN email services by sending unsolicited emails misrepresenting an affiliation with Microsoft.

The “typosquatting” emails used subtle variations of Microsoft properties, such as wwmsn.com and bcentrals.com, and were presented as security patches or system updates. The messages were actually offering a toolbar for download that claimed to automatically update the user's Windows security.

But Microsoft claims that the messages were simply a series of links to Goto.com, which normally pays affiliates 3 cents for delivering traffic to its site.

Khoshnood was accused of sending millions of unsolicited email messages in violation of the Washington Commercial Electronic Mail Act and the Washington Consumer Protection Act. The case was filed in June 2003, before the federal Can-Spam Act went into effect.

Microsoft in court documents also alleged that Khoshnood, through Joshuathan Investments, had been named in no fewer than nine additional actions involving domain names that infringed upon the trademarks of America Online Inc., American Express Co., BMW AG, CompUSA Management Co., Expedia Inc., Grolier Inc., Infospace Inc., Southwestern Bell Yellow Pages Inc., and Sunglass Hut Corp.

According to Microsoft, the July 7 decision represented the company’s first summary judgment handed down in a case alleging illegal spamming, although the damages were awarded mainly for trademark infringement.

Microsoft attorney Aaron Kornblum told XBiz that the company is targeting and filing suits against the “most harmful spammers.”

“These individuals need to understand that their activity is illegal and that if they inundate consumers with spam they will be identified, targeted and sued,” Kornblum said.

Kornblum said Microsoft had been taking legal action against Khoshnood since 1997 and had entered into agreements with him to stop the trademark violations, but the agreements were breached.

Khoshnood could not be reached by XBiz for comment.

The case against Khoshnood and his companies isn’t the only one Microsoft has filed against alleged spammers.

Since launching an anti-spam initiative in early 2003, Microsoft has filed 60 lawsuits in the United States. The software giant so far has been awarded a total of $54 million in resolved cases, including four settlements and six default judgments.

One case involves XPays, which runs a large-scale online adult site affiliate operation in San Francisco. That case continues in King County Superior Court in Seattle.

The cases are Microsoft Corp. vs. Khoshnood, No. 03-4269, and Microsoft Corp. vs. XPays, No. 03-2-27988-9.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

REPORT: Irish Ministers Seek UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Brazzers Launches Model Management Division 'Brazzers Creator'

Brazzers has launched its new full-service model management division, Brazzers Creator, offering content management services across multiple platforms.

FTC Promises 'Vigorous' TAKE IT DOWN Act Enforcement

The Federal Trade Commission is warning platforms that the agency will strongly enforce the notice-and-removal requirements of the TAKE IT DOWN Act, which go into effect next week on May 19.

STD Hero Joins Pineapple Support as Sponsor

Better Life Science brand STD Hero has joined the ranks of over 70 adult businesses and organizations committing funds and resources to Pineapple Support.

2026 XBIZ Miami Speaker, Open-Floor Conversation Guide Lineup Announced

XBIZ is pleased to announce the release of the full speaker lineup for XBIZ Miami, the latest edition of the adult industry’s premier summer conference, set to take place May 11-14 at the Goodtime Hotel in Miami Beach.

2026 XBIZ Miami Conference Schedule Announced

XBIZ is pleased to announce the release of the full show schedule for XBIZ Miami, set to take place May 11-14 at the Goodtime Hotel in South Beach.

Show More