$1M Cash Boost to Fight Child Porn

ONTARIO, Canada – Project P, Ontario's special police unit that investigates child porn cases, got a cash infusion of $1 million this week to beef up its staff and strengthen its vigilant effort to keep Ontario from becoming a child porn haven, authorities announced Monday.

The added cash to Project P's budget is a follow-up pledge from Ontario's Attorney General Michael Bryant and Community Safety Minister Monte Kwinter to give the child porn task force as much support as possible and set a precedent for other states to take a firmer stand against child porn and the "avenues" through which child porn can be disseminated, namely the Internet.

The cash infusion was approved by the Ontario Cabinet and marks a 70 percent increase in Project P's usual funding allotment from Ontario lawmakers. Typically, Project P operates on a $2.4 million budget.

The added monies will be used to add 12 new members to the task force team, said Brian Adkin, president of the Ontario Provincial Police Association, where Project P has operated since its inception in 1975.

"That's excellent," Adkin told the Toronto Star. "These guys are run off their feet. It will be very helpful."

The expanded budget comes on the heels of a gruesome molestation/murder of a 10-year-old Lake Ontario girl after her confessed killer admitted to drawing inspiration from viewing child porn on the Internet.

The man, 36-year-old software developer Michael Briere, was sentenced to life in prison last week after he was found guilty by a Canadian court of sexually assaulting and then murdering and dismembering Holly Jones in May 2003. Briere was arrested one month later after investigators matched his DNA from a soda can to skin found under the victim's fingernails.

Briere also confessed that his attack on Holly was random. He saw her walking home from school and dragged her into his apartment where he assaulted and then strangled and dismembered her, keeping the body overnight and removing it the next day in two gym bags.

The Toronto Star reports, however, that the Cabinet's decision to increase funding for Project P had been in the works long before the murder of Jones.

"What I did was absolutely wrong," Briere said immediately following his sentencing. "It was cruel. It cannot be justified. It was meaningless and senseless. I accept this sentence because I fully realize the pain which I have caused. I realize that I must be punished for this terrible wrong that I have done. I also realize that society wants to be protected from me and my behavior."

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches by Country for June, July

AEBN has released the list of popular searches from its straight and gay theaters, by country, for June and July.

Appeals Court Upholds Section 230 Immunity in XVideos Case

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit has upheld a lower court’s ruling that Section 230 protects WebGroup Czech Republic from liability in a case involving user-uploaded CSAM on its tube sites.

Aylo Moves to Settle Two 'Children of Pornhub' Class-Action Lawsuits

Aylo has agreed to terms for a settlement with the plaintiffs in two long-running class actions over allegations that former Pornhub parent company MindGeek knowingly allowed and profited from CSAM on its sites.

Tigerlilly Launches 'SugarCoatedSweethearts' Through PAYSITE

Tigerlilly has launched SugarCoatedSweethearts.com through PAYSITE.

ASACP Marks 30-Year Anniversary

ASACP is celebrating 30 years of operation, during which it has received over 1.3 million reports from web admins and the public about suspected child pornography.

AEBN Announces Isiah Maxwell as Top Male Boy/Girl Performer for Summer 2026

AEBN has revealed its top 10 male Boy/Girl performers for summer 2026, with Isiah Maxwell landing atop the leaderboard.

JMan Launches AI Companion Solution for Adult Websites

Online industry veteran JMan has launched Orkestrait, an AI companion solution designed specifically for adult websites.

Johnny Sins Launches 'Fangate' Platform for Account-Free Content Sales

Johnny Sins has officially launched Fangate, a platform that allows creators to sell content directly to fans without requiring a user account or subscription.

TSBlondieNYC Launches Official Website Through PAYSITE

TSBlondieNYC has launched an official website through PAYSITE.

Creator and Sexual Wellness Brand Marketplace Platform 'Teasr' Launches

Teasr, an online marketplace for creators and sexual wellness brands that focuses on live-selling and video product demonstrations, has officially launched.

Show More