Judge Pauses FSC Lawsuit Over Florida AV Law

Judge Pauses FSC Lawsuit Over Florida AV Law

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — A U.S. district court judge has paused Free Speech Coalition’s lawsuit over Florida’s age verification law, pending the Supreme Court's ruling in the FSC-led challenge to Texas’ age verification law, HB 1181.

According to court documents, Chief United States District Judge Mark E. Walker, of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida, granted Florida Attorney General Ashley Moody’s motion for a stay of proceedings until the U.S. Supreme Court issues a ruling in Free Speech Coalition v. Paxton. Oral arguments in that case took place Jan. 15.

In his opinion, Walker noted, “It was apparent from the arguments that the Supreme Court’s ruling in this case is substantially likely to inform this Court’s analysis of Plaintiffs’ First Amendment claim, the level of scrutiny that should apply, and how that may impact the merits of Plaintiffs’ claim.”

On Dec. 24, Moody filed the motion asking the court to stay the FSC lawsuit challenging HB 3, the state's age verification law, which took effect Jan. 1. At the time, adult industry attorney Corey D. Silverstein told XBIZ that granting the motion would penalize adult sites operating in Florida without due process.

"Florida lawmakers are ignoring the constitution, just as in other states that have passed these laws, as well as ignoring existing case precedent that these laws are unconstitutional," he said.

As XBIZ reported earlier this month, the ramifications of HB 3 are already being felt. Aylo geo-blocked Pornhub in Florida starting on Jan. 1, as it has done in numerous other states with similar AV laws.

“This Court recognizes that Plaintiffs’ speech is chilled every day the challenged law is in effect, but, given the substantial guidance the Supreme Court is likely to provide in its ruling in Paxton and the impact this guidance will have on this Court’s analysis of Plaintiffs’ primary constitutional claims … this Court concludes that a limited stay of these proceedings is both appropriate and necessary in this case,” Walker wrote.

The suit is stayed until the Supreme Court issues its opinion in FSC v. Paxton, or until July 3, whichever happens sooner.

View Document

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More