Pornhub Rejects Claim It Plans to 'Avoid' Age Verification in UK

Pornhub Rejects Claim It Plans to 'Avoid' Age Verification in UK

LOS ANGELES — Pornhub parent company Aylo told XBIZ on Monday that a recent report claiming the site will use a “loophole” to sidestep age verification requirements under the U.K.’s Online Safety Act is “misleading,” and that the company will always ensure its sites are compliant.

The politically conservative U.K. newspaper The Telegraph last week published a sensationalistic report claiming that Pornhub “has said that it would not be covered” by age verification requirements under the OSA, on the grounds that the site does not qualify as a “provider of pornographic content” under OSA rules as they are being implemented by U.K. media regulator Ofcom.

“The world’s biggest porn website will be able to avoid imminent age checks across its adult websites,” the Telegraph article reads.

The story has since been picked up by other news outlets.

Aylo confirmed to XBIZ that it expects to be classified under Part 3 of the OSA, rather than under Part 5, since it publishes user-generated content. However, such classification does not constitute avoidance of provider obligations.

A quote from Ofcom in the same article even mentions Pornhub by name in clarifying that “the ‘Part 5’ duties for pornography providers due to come into force in January largely covered premium pay sites and that the majority of online pornography services accessed in Britain, such as Pornhub, would be covered by later rules covering child safety.”

On Friday, Ofcom posted information clarifying what kinds of services are required to comply with each section of the OSA, and when.

“Platforms that publish their own pornographic content (Part 5 services) must take immediate steps to start introducing highly effective age assurance measures, in line with our guidance,” the update reads. “Sites that allow user-generated pornographic content (Part 3 services) must carry out assessments to confirm whether under-18s are able to access content on their platforms.”

Belying The Telegraph's slant on the story, the Ofcom statement adds that by July 2025, all platforms must have “a highly effective age assurance solution in place to protect under-18s. This is the case whether a service publishes its own pornographic content or allows user-generated pornographic content.”

Aylo told XBIZ, “We are monitoring developments and will always ensure our sites are compliant.”

As XBIZ reported, age verification is listed among the U.K. government’s priorities for its implementation of the OSA.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Brazil Invites Public Input on AV Guidelines

Brazil’s National Data Protection Authority (ANPD) on Friday launched a public consultation on developing guidelines for age verification mechanisms under the country’s Digital Statute for Children and Adolescents (Digital ECA), which requires adult websites to age-verify users located in Brazil.

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Show More