1 Year Later: Gaza Strip Online Porn Ban Holding Strong

PALESTINE — After a year since its inception, an Internet porn ban in the Gaza Strip is holding strong, blocking access to nearly 80 percent of the population.

Filtering initiated by the ruling Hamas Islamic Palestinian political party bound all ISPs in the region, virtually handcuffing all adult content

The government's Ministry of Communications' Osama al-IssawI said last year that the action was being taken to “protect the fabric of society.”

According to AL-Monitor, Ziad Sheikh Dib, director of the licensing department at the Ministry of Communications, said that the filters are automatically applied whenever citizens use the Internet within the Gaza Strip. He pointed out that the new system no longer allows users to enable or disable the protection system as was possible when the Internet was connected to the old ADSL land line.

Walid Kassab, director of the region’s main ISP, Hadara Company, explained that the new BSA system that operates under universal technical standards opened the door to more ISPs and each began using its own filtering program.

But Dib did admit using proxies could circumvent the filtering.

“This decision serves regular Internet users. Those looking for these kinds of films, however, will find a way to obtain them, either by sharing DVDs or videos or by using a chip that provides them with Internet through a network that is not local [VPN],” Dib said.

Some users agree, and point out that the ban simply makes the forbidden more desirable.

“This step will only lead people to further search for such sites, especially with the existence of programs that penetrate the filtration system, knowing that some of these programs are automatically enabled on some iPads and smartphones,” Y.G., an activist told AL-Monitor.

Another user said, “There must be a moral ban that stems from a culture of community, rather than an automatic ban that stems from a governmental decision. I, as a young man, am content with downloading popular foreign films from various websites, and sometimes they contain such scenes."

In reaction to the Hamas’ ban in 2012, Sex.com gave away a free emergency porn package to users over 18 that included a DVD and an eight GB flash drive of photos and videos.

Palestinian writer Tawfiq Abu Shomar, said that the ban is a waste of effort. "We merely use the Internet, we don't have an influence on the global network. This is what we should pay attention to, not the banning of websites. If someone wants to open one of these sites, there are other networks in Gaza such as Orange and Thuraya — blocking them won't work. For the future, we must learn how to live in an open society."

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

FSC Updates Complaint in Tennessee AV Case, AG Motions to Dismiss

The Free Speech Coalition this week filed an amended complaint in its lawsuit challenging the Protect Tennessee Minors Act as unconstitutional, in response to which the Tennessee attorney general motioned for dismissal of the case.

Cherie DeVille Joins Woodhull Freedom Foundation 'Free Speech' Panel

Multi-XMAs winner Cherie DeVille will join the upcoming Woodhull Freedom Foundation panel series "Fact Checked by Woodhull," addressing free speech on Feb. 26.

Wisconsin AV Bill Moves Ahead, Minus Anti-VPN Provisions

The Wisconsin state Senate on Wednesday advanced a bill that would require adult websites to verify the ages of users, but approved an amendment striking proposed language that would have required sites to block virtual private network traffic.

Pineapple Support Introduces 'Wellbeing by PS' Service

Pineapple Support has debuted its new Wellbeing by PS service, providing mental health support packages for companies and agencies.

MyMember.site Integrates Bluesky Functionality

MyMember.site has added Bluesky features to its website management platform.

GirlsDoPorn Defendants Ordered to Pay Victims $75.5 Million

A federal court has ordered former GirlsDoPorn owner Michael Pratt and his co-defendants in the GDP sex trafficking case to pay restitution totaling $75,568,283.47 to 106 victims.

SWR Data Publishes 'Clip Trend' Report

Adult industry market research firm SWR Data has published a report on clip platform performance and sales.

Another German Court Rejects Blocking Orders Against Pornhub, YouPorn

A German court has blocked the Rhineland-Palatinate Media Authority (MA RLP) from forcing telecom providers based within the court’s jurisdiction to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

Ofcom Fines Kick Online Entertainment $1 Million for AV Noncompliance

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Thursday fined Kick Online Entertainment 800,000 pounds (more than $1 million) for failing to implement age checks as required for compliance with the Online Safety Act.

FSC Details Legislative Outlook for 2026

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has laid out the legislative outlook for the industry in 2026.

Show More