Shellee Hale Wants Her Too Much Media Case to Go to N.J. Supreme Court

FREEHOLD, N.J. — Blogger Shellee Hale, the defendant in the Too Much Media defamation lawsuit, wants the N.J. Supreme Court to hear her case.

In April, an appellate judge affirmed an earlier court ruling that the state’s shield law doesn’t apply to Hale, meaning she would have to reveal her confidential sources.

In documents filed this week, Hale’s attorney, Jeffrey Pollock, said the high court should take up the matter while the suit is still ongoing rather than wait for its resolution.

Hale, who calls herself a journalist, insists the state’s shield law protects the identity of her sources in her online postings regarding a security breach at Too Much Media.

Too Much Media attorney, Joel Kreizman, said that Hale was nothing more than an irresponsible member of the public posting libelous or slanderous comments on the message board.

Pollock said the trial judge made a mistake and the appellate court compounded that error by requiring Hale to prove she is a journalist. Pollock argued the ruling required Hale to meet a set of criteria that previously did not exist to prove she is a writer and therefore protected by the shield law.

"If the Court decides to hear this matter, I think her chances are excellent that she will prevail," Pollock told XBIZ. "Unfortunately, the New Jersey Supreme Court decides relatively few matters. Because this is an area of interest to the Court and to the New Jersey public, I sincerely hope that the Court will take this matter up and settle the question of what Internet writers qualify for the newsperson's privilege or Shield Law."

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

MyMember.site Integrates Bluesky Functionality

MyMember.site has added Bluesky features to its website management platform.

GirlsDoPorn Defendants Ordered to Pay Victims $75.5 Million

A federal court has ordered former GirlsDoPorn owner Michael Pratt and his co-defendants in the GDP sex trafficking case to pay restitution totaling $75,568,283.47 to 106 victims.

SWR Data Publishes 'Clip Trend' Report

Adult industry market research outfit SWR Data has published a report on the performance of clip platforms and sales.

Another German Court Rejects Blocking Orders Against Pornhub, YouPorn

A German court has blocked the Rhineland-Palatinate Media Authority (MA RLP) from forcing telecom providers based within the court’s jurisdiction to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

Ofcom Fines Kick Online Entertainment $1 Million for AV Noncompliance

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Thursday fined Kick Online Entertainment 800,000 pounds (more than $1 million) for failing to implement age checks as required for compliance with the Online Safety Act.

FSC Details Legislative Outlook for 2026

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has laid out the legislative outlook for the industry in 2026.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches by Country for December, January

AEBN has released the list of popular searches from its straight and gay theaters, by country, for December and January.

Jim Austin Joins CrakRevenue Team

Online industry veteran and business strategist Jim Austin has been hired by CrakRevenue.

Judge Dismisses NCOSE-Backed Suits Against Adult Sites Over Kansas AV Law

A federal judge on Tuesday dismissed lawsuits brought against two adult websites in Kansas for alleged violations of the state’s age verification law.

Aylo/SWOP Panel Spotlights Creators' Struggle for Digital, Financial Rights

Aylo and Sex Workers Outreach Project (SWOP) Behind Bars presented, on Tuesday, an online panel on creators’ rights, debanking and deplatforming.

Show More