‘Girls Gone Wild’ Founder Makes Plea Deal in Tax Case

LOS ANGELES — "Girls Gone Wild" founder Joe Francis agreed to plead guilty to filing false tax returns.

Francis faced U.S. Judge S. James Otero for sentencing Wednesday afternoon and later said he was "grateful" the judge signaled a green light. Final sentencing is slated for Nov. 6.

"If the judge accepts our agreement with the government, all felony tax charges will be dismissed and I will not spend any more time in jail," he told told LA Observed via Flack. "I look forward to the complete resolution of this matter."

Francis acknowledged being "a difficult client," and thanked his lawyers.

The plea agreement on two counts of filing false tax returns and one count of bribing Nevada jail workers in exchange for food states Francis will pay $250,000 in restitution and receive credit for jail time served.

Francis and his companies Mantra Films Inc. and Sands Media Inc. were indicted on two counts of tax evasion by a federal grand jury in April 2007.

Federal prosecutors claimed Francis reported taxable income for 2002 of $13.9 million and paid $3.5 million in taxes, "when in truth and fact, he then and there knew well and believed that he had omitted additional income," according to the indictment. For 2003, Francis paid $352,000 in taxes on reported taxable income of almost $1.16 million.

The government also claimed that Francis used offshore accounts to conceal income and his companies claimed more than $20 million in phony deductions.

In addition, the government alleged Mantra overstated deductions by including more than $1 million for construction as "false footage" and professional service expenses, and falsely claimed more than $1.9 million as insurance expenses.

The amount Francis underreported, according to the plea — about $563,000 — is far less than the more than $20 million in bogus deductions prosecutors alleged Francis made. The deductions were for a Mexican home where Francis entertained celebrities, a Porsche and other items.

Francis also will acknowledge giving more than $5,000 in goods to a pair of Washoe County, Nev., jail workers in exchange for food. Francis was held at the jail from June 2007 to March 2008.

The plea comes just weeks before the start of Francis' trial, which included a recent delay after a key government witness, Francis' former accountant, turned over hundreds of previously undisclosed emails.

Francis used the emails as a basis of a suit field at Los Angeles Superior Court against his former accountant, Michael Barrett, and other former key Mantra executives, contending they set up a bogus company and fraudulently billed him for hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Francis claimed that after Barrett resigned in 2004 as the company's chief financial officer he contacted the IRS and falsely accused Francis of tax evasion.

Francis, according to the suit, said that Barrett was "hoping that the IRS would prosecute and incarcerate Francis, thereby removing the possibility" that he would "catch the ongoing theft.”

"While Barrett was secretly trying to get Francis investigated by the Reno [Nev.] division of the IRS to recover his bounty from the mistaken books he previously prepared, provided and vouched for to Francis' tax return preparers, he never disclosed any problem to Francis," the Los Angeles Superior Court suit said.

Barrett's credibility as a witness came into question in recent weeks, with Otero warning prosecutors that Barrett posed problems for them.

Otero noted that Barrett had sought a reward for turning Francis in, even though he may have also committed a crime.

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

Reagan Foxx Headlines 'Mom's Little Cuck' From Reality Junkies

2023 XMAs MILF Performer of the Year Reagan Foxx toplines "Mom’s Little Cuck" from Mile High Media studio imprint Reality Junkies.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Clémence Audiard on Blending Gonzo With High-Style Eroticism

There's an unmistakable radiance that surrounds Clémence Audiard — a glow born of the power to manifest her own vision. With Clemence Crave, her self-funded and self-directed production house, Audiard has sculpted a universe entirely her own.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Sofie Marie Makes Her WIFEY Debut

Sofie Marie stars with her husband Spike, Dan Damage, and Isiah Maxwell in the latest release from Vixen Media Group studio imprint WIFEY.

Elegant Angel Debuts James Avalon Drama 'Summer & Joy'

Elegant Angel has released the first installment of the James Avalon-helmed drama "Summer & Joy."

Octavia Red Stars in 'Lipstick on the Glass' From Deeper

Reigning XMAs Girl/Girl Performer of the Year Octavia Red stars with Ashley Lane and Mannie Coco in "Lipstick on the Glass," from Vixen Media Group studio imprint Deeper.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

Show More