Australia Ready to Test Web Filters

CANBERRA, Australia — Australia's mandatory net filtering system is being prepared to block 10,000 websites as part of a blacklist of "unwanted content." Some 1,300 websites have already been identified for blocking by the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA), up from 1,000 at the beginning of the year.

Communications Minister Sen. Stephen Conroy revealed details of the government's proposed web filter this week. Internet service providers will test different ways to filter Internet content using volunteer subscribers. The trial will start before Christmas and is expected to last six weeks.

"The pilot will test filtering specifically against the ACMA blacklist of Internet prohibited content, which is mostly child pornography, as well as filtering of other unwanted content," Conroy said in response to a question by Sen. Scott Ludlum.

"The pilot will specifically test filtering against the ACMA blacklist of prohibited content, which is mostly child pornography, as well as filtering of other unwanted content," Conroy told Parliament. "While the ACMA blacklist is currently around 1300 URLs, the pilot will test against this list — as well as filtering for a range of URLs to around 10,000 — so that the impacts on network performance of a larger blacklist can be examined."

An ACMA trial of web filtering technology earlier this year found that filters could slow Internet access by at least 2 percent and as much as 87 percent.

Colin Jacobs, a board member of civil liberties advocacy group Electronic Frontiers Australia, said the group was concerned at what would be deemed "unwanted content."

"It is unclear how ACMA will scale up their blacklist to 10,000 websites and what will go on the list," Jacobs said. "Conroy said the list would contain illegal and unwanted content — but we still have to see what would end up on that list. Under the current mandate that includes adult material, which would mean most material that could be rated R and, in some circumstances, material rated MA15+."

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Brazil Invites Public Input on AV Guidelines

Brazil’s National Data Protection Authority (ANPD) on Friday launched a public consultation on developing guidelines for age verification mechanisms under the country’s Digital Statute for Children and Adolescents (Digital ECA), which requires adult websites to age-verify users located in Brazil.

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Show More