Pregnant Man Interest Spikes After ‘Oprah’ Appearance

BEND, Ore. — Pregnant transgendered man Thomas Beatie created an online uproar when TV talk show host Oprah Winfrey announced his story on her show last week.

Beatie, who first came to media attention with a self-written article published in gay publication The Advocate, said that he has been living as a transgendered man for the past ten years, but retained his female reproductive organs. Through the process of artificial insemination, Beatie became pregnant and is expecting a daughter in July.

Since the mention on Oprah last week, online searches for keyword phrases like “pregnant man” and “Oregon pregnant man” spiked dramatically, and searches for Beatie’s name have increased nearly 3,000 percent.

In the Advocate article, Beatie pointed out that he is legally classified as male, and also legally married to his wife Nancy, who will become a mother when the child is born while Beatie steps into his role as father.

Beatie also stated that he and his wife have encountered many difficulties and negative reactions from healthcare providers, family and the public.

“Our situation sparks legal, political, and social unknowns. We have only begun experiencing opposition from people who are upset by our situation,” Beatie wrote in the article. “Doctors have discriminated against us, turning us away due to their religious beliefs. Healthcare professionals have refused to call me by a male pronoun or recognize Nancy as my wife. Receptionists have laughed at us. Friends and family have been unsupportive; most of Nancy’s family doesn’t even know I’m transgender.”

Beatie has received attention from several media outlets including Huffington Post,, Yahoo News, People.com, Buzz.com and Boing Boing.

News agency Rueters.com posted a video of Beatie’s neighbors commenting on the situation. Reuters reported also that Beatie is avoiding the press corps that has taken up camp outside his house.

On her show, Winfrey said that the pregnancy is "a new definition of what diversity means for everybody."

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

FSC Updates Complaint in Tennessee AV Case, AG Motions to Dismiss

The Free Speech Coalition this week filed an amended complaint in its lawsuit challenging the Protect Tennessee Minors Act as unconstitutional, in response to which the Tennessee attorney general motioned for dismissal of the case.

Cherie DeVille Joins Woodhull Freedom Foundation 'Free Speech' Panel

Multi-XMAs winner Cherie DeVille will join the upcoming Woodhull Freedom Foundation panel series "Fact Checked by Woodhull," addressing free speech on Feb. 26.

Wisconsin AV Bill Moves Ahead, Minus Anti-VPN Provisions

The Wisconsin state Senate on Wednesday advanced a bill that would require adult websites to verify the ages of users, but approved an amendment striking proposed language that would have required sites to block virtual private network traffic.

Pineapple Support Introduces 'Wellbeing by PS' Service

Pineapple Support has debuted its new Wellbeing by PS service, providing mental health support packages for companies and agencies.

MyMember.site Integrates Bluesky Functionality

MyMember.site has added Bluesky features to its website management platform.

GirlsDoPorn Defendants Ordered to Pay Victims $75.5 Million

A federal court has ordered former GirlsDoPorn owner Michael Pratt and his co-defendants in the GDP sex trafficking case to pay restitution totaling $75,568,283.47 to 106 victims.

SWR Data Publishes 'Clip Trend' Report

Adult industry market research firm SWR Data has published a report on clip platform performance and sales.

Another German Court Rejects Blocking Orders Against Pornhub, YouPorn

A German court has blocked the Rhineland-Palatinate Media Authority (MA RLP) from forcing telecom providers based within the court’s jurisdiction to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

Ofcom Fines Kick Online Entertainment $1 Million for AV Noncompliance

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Thursday fined Kick Online Entertainment 800,000 pounds (more than $1 million) for failing to implement age checks as required for compliance with the Online Safety Act.

FSC Details Legislative Outlook for 2026

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has laid out the legislative outlook for the industry in 2026.

Show More