China to Prosecute Adult Web ‘Gang’

BEIJING — China’s Anhui Provincial Internet police this week rounded up what it is calling an organized gang of webmasters and staffers, accusing them of operating the country's largest illegal adult website.

Eleven suspects will be prosecuted in Hefei Intermediate People’s Court following the arrests. They are the latest in a highly publicized sweep being touted by the government as the single-largest international anti-pornography crackdown, which so far has landed thousands of people behind bars.

After a month-long investigation, police said they determined the defendants had used offshore servers, including at least one in the United States, to register more than 300,000 subscribers to the websites.

Ten men and one woman face charges. Police said they include school teachers and public servants who provided technical support and marketing expertise to a twelfth suspect, Wang Yong, who is being called the site's "ring leader." Yong, authorities say, built the server in the United States and will be tried seperately.

According to China’s Xinhua News Agency, the site was launched in 2003. Run primarily from the province of Anhui, it offered access to 6,000 videos and 100,000 pictures. Authorities said the site's records show more than 400 million visits before being shut down.

Chinese law forbids the dissemination of explicit or hardcore materials of any kind, including those involving only consenting adults. The law considers such activities crimes against the people and the state.

According to the group Human Rights Watch, since 1995 China has passed more than 60 sets of regulations regarding Internet content. Most are broadly worded, giving authorities wide birth concerning what they consider to be criminal activities as well as punishment for those activities.

Last year, the government announced a “war on pornography,” passing stiffer penalties — including life in prison — for “severe cases,” which include websites that have been clicked on more than 250,000 times.

In November, a Chinese adult webmaster was sentenced to 15 years in prison on charges of peddling pornography.

China's police ministry hands out rewards of up to 2,000 yaun, or $330, to people who report adult sites. The government also has spent millions in an attempt to control what citizens view over the Internet and block access to adult material, including the mandatory installation of filtering software on all public computers.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

MyMember.site Integrates Bluesky Functionality

MyMember.site has added Bluesky features to its website management platform.

GirlsDoPorn Defendants Ordered to Pay Victims $75.5 Million

A federal court has ordered former GirlsDoPorn owner Michael Pratt and his co-defendants in the GDP sex trafficking case to pay restitution totaling $75,568,283.47 to 106 victims.

SWR Data Publishes 'Clip Trend' Report

Adult industry market research outfit SWR Data has published a report on the performance of clip platforms and sales.

Another German Court Rejects Blocking Orders Against Pornhub, YouPorn

A German court has blocked the Rhineland-Palatinate Media Authority (MA RLP) from forcing telecom providers based within the court’s jurisdiction to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

Ofcom Fines Kick Online Entertainment $1 Million for AV Noncompliance

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Thursday fined Kick Online Entertainment 800,000 pounds (more than $1 million) for failing to implement age checks as required for compliance with the Online Safety Act.

FSC Details Legislative Outlook for 2026

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has laid out the legislative outlook for the industry in 2026.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches by Country for December, January

AEBN has released the list of popular searches from its straight and gay theaters, by country, for December and January.

Jim Austin Joins CrakRevenue Team

Online industry veteran and business strategist Jim Austin has been hired by CrakRevenue.

Judge Dismisses NCOSE-Backed Suits Against Adult Sites Over Kansas AV Law

A federal judge on Tuesday dismissed lawsuits brought against two adult websites in Kansas for alleged violations of the state’s age verification law.

Aylo/SWOP Panel Spotlights Creators' Struggle for Digital, Financial Rights

Aylo and Sex Workers Outreach Project (SWOP) Behind Bars presented, on Tuesday, an online panel on creators’ rights, debanking and deplatforming.

Show More