Judge in Performers' Blacklisting Lawsuit Says Meta Policy Sounds 'Nefarious'

Judge in Performers' Blacklisting Lawsuit Says Meta Policy Sounds 'Nefarious'

SAN FRANCISCO — A California federal judge, overseeing a lawsuit claiming that Meta conspired with OnlyFans to blacklist rival premium fan platforms’ talent, said during a hearing Wednesday that the tech giant’s lack of archiving of its “Dangerous Organizations and Individuals” (DOI) list sounded “nefarious.”

As XBIZ reported, Adult Performance Artists Guild board officers Alana Evans, Kelly Pierce and Ruby filed the civil lawsuit in February 2022 against OnlyFans and its owner, as well as against Meta, the parent company of Instagram and Facebook. The suit replicated claims from an earlier lawsuit filed on behalf of FanCentro in November 2021, alleging a conspiracy to engage in “tortious interference with contract and intentional interference with prospective business.”

In March, however, the plaintiffs sought to drop the lawsuit, telling the court that “based on the information Meta defendants provided, the information essential to plaintiffs’ class allegations is not available,” making further discovery efforts “futile.” This was after Meta informed them that the company “found no evidence that any competitor platform was currently on the list, or had been nominated for inclusion,” according to the plaintiffs’ motion.

The plaintiffs are now seeking to drop the suit in such a way as to leave open the possibility of future antitrust claims. Disputing this, Meta has asked the judge to instead issue a summary judgment in the company’s favor.

During this week’s hearing, U.S. District Judge William Alsup questioned the plaintiffs’ counsel’s strategy of not deposing the witnesses offered by Meta, but reserved his strongest language to lambast the tech giant for its peculiar record-keeping methods regarding updates and changes to its controversial DOI blacklist.

The rebuke was in response to Meta attorney K. Winn Allen’s explanation that Meta “has a collaborative review process before new users are added to Meta’s DOI list that involves Meta’s content team, policy team, communications team and legal departments, among others,” legal news site Law 360 reported.

Meta only produced selected old versions of the DOI lists that were included in the email communications disclosed during discovery.

The judge added that it bothers him that a large company like Meta would not have a protocol to regularly store and archive the different versions of its DOI list.

“That sounds nefarious to me, that you are destroying evidence before it is needed,” Alsup told Meta’s attorneys when they implied that the list was a “living” document, always mutating. 

“The list is not living,” the judge pointed out. “It dies each day.”

Alsup appeared especially baffled by the practice of not keeping records on the list because of his background as a corporate attorney familiar with compliance issues. When reviewing the statements by Meta’s attorneys, he said, he thought, “My god, why don’t they keep that?” 

“If I was a lawyer, I would advise them to keep the document,” he added, noting that this would enable the company to share updates of the DOI list with law enforcement.

“So you see, I’m suspicious,” Alsup told Allen. “Your explanation raises more questions than it answers.”

The plaintiffs celebrated the judge’s remarks as a victory.

“I am happy that the judge is having just as hard of a time as we are believing the data doesn’t exist,” Evans told XBIZ. “I hope to see this continue to move forward.”

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Proposed New Hampshire AV Bill Appears to Violate Constitution

A bill in the New Hampshire state legislature, aimed at requiring adult sites to age-verify users in that state, contains a provision that seemingly contradicts the Supremacy Clause in Article VI of the U.S. Constitution.

AEBN Publishes Report on Fetish Trends

AEBN has published a report on fetish categories from its straight and gay theaters.

Online Child Protection Hearing to Include Federal AV Bill

A House subcommittee will hold a hearing next week on a slate of bills aimed at protecting minors online, including the SCREEN Act, which would make site-based age verification of users seeking to access adult content federal law.

Industry Photographer, 'Payout' Founder Mike B Passes Away

Longtime industry photographer and publisher Michael Bartholomey, known widely as Mike B, passed away Saturday.

FSC Announces 2025 Board of Directors Election Nominees

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has announced the nominees for its 2025 Board of Directors election.

AdultHTML Launches Black Friday Web Design, Development Promo

AdultHTML has launched its annual Black Friday/Cyber Monday promo for web design and development, running through Dec. 5.

Canada Exempts Online Adult Content From 'CanCon' Quotas

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) has updated its broadcasting regulatory policies, exempting streaming adult content from “made in Canada” requirements that apply to other online material.

Creator Law Firm 'OnlyFirm' Launches

Entertainment attorney Alex Lonstein has officially launched OnlyFirm.com for creators.

German Court Puts Pornhub, YouPorn 'Network Ban' on Hold

The Administrative Court of Düsseldorf has temporarily blocked the State Media Authority of North Rhine-Westphalia (LfM) from forcing telecom providers to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

FSC: NC Law Invalidating Model Contracts Takes Effect December 1

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has issued a notice that North Carolina's Prevent Exploitation of Women and Minors Act goes into effect on December 1.

Show More