Omegle Shut Down as Part of Civil Lawsuit Settlement

Omegle Shut Down as Part of Civil Lawsuit Settlement

Note (12/20/2023): A previous version of this article included a paragraph mentioning Laila Mickelwait. The paragraph has been removed at the request of Mickelwait’s lawyers, who raised objections based on their interpretation of its characterization of her motivation and the scope of her activism.

BROOKLYN, N.Y. — Video chat platform Omegle was shuttered earlier this week, reportedly as part of a settlement in a civil lawsuit brought on behalf of a woman who met an alleged abuser through the service when she was a minor.

Brooklyn-based attorney Carrie Goldberg told tech news site 404 Media that Omegle owner Leif K-Brooks had closed down the site as a condition of a Nov. 2 settlement with her client. The case was dismissed at that time.

During the legal proceedings arising from the suit, a judge ruled that Section 230 did not shield Omegle because the alleged harms came not from the content but from the very design of the service, which prioritized anonymity and randomness.

K-Brooks launched Omegle in 2009 as an anonymous live chat site. Earlier this week, he posted a message on the site before taking it down, stating, “Virtually every tool can be used for good or for evil, and that is especially true of communication tools, due to their innate flexibility. The telephone can be used to wish your grandmother ‘happy birthday’, but it can also be used to call in a bomb threat. There can be no honest accounting of Omegle without acknowledging that some people misused it, including to commit unspeakably heinous crimes.”

Referring to the Section 230 clause offering protection from liability in exchange for reasonable moderation, K- Brooks added, “I believe in a responsibility to be a ‘good Samaritan’, and to implement reasonable measures to fight crime and other misuse. That is exactly what Omegle did. In addition to the basic safety feature of anonymity, there was a great deal of moderation behind the scenes, including state-of-the-art AI operating in concert with a wonderful team of human moderators. Omegle punched above its weight in content moderation, and I’m proud of what we accomplished.”

The anonymous plaintiff, only identified by the initials A.M., filed a lawsuit in 2021, alleging that when she was 11 years old, she was randomly paired with an adult man who then “manipulated her into masturbating and urinating on camera in front of him over the course of three years,” 404 Media reported.

That man was later arrested by authorities, along with his stash of CSAM, which included pictures of A.M.

“This isn’t fucking free speech, you know, introducing strangers for the free exchange of ideas,” Goldberg said in a 2022 interview.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Brazzers Launches Model Management Division 'Brazzers Creator'

Brazzers has launched its new full-service model management division, Brazzers Creator, offering content management services across multiple platforms.

FTC Promises 'Vigorous' TAKE IT DOWN Act Enforcement

The Federal Trade Commission is warning platforms that the agency will strongly enforce the notice-and-removal requirements of the TAKE IT DOWN Act, which go into effect next week on May 19.

STD Hero Joins Pineapple Support as Sponsor

Better Life Science brand STD Hero has joined the ranks of over 70 adult businesses and organizations committing funds and resources to Pineapple Support.

2026 XBIZ Miami Speaker, Open-Floor Conversation Guide Lineup Announced

XBIZ is pleased to announce the release of the full speaker lineup for XBIZ Miami, the latest edition of the adult industry’s premier summer conference, set to take place May 11-14 at the Goodtime Hotel in Miami Beach.

2026 XBIZ Miami Conference Schedule Announced

XBIZ is pleased to announce the release of the full show schedule for XBIZ Miami, set to take place May 11-14 at the Goodtime Hotel in South Beach.

Show More