French Court Rejects Lawsuit Aiming to Block Top Porn Sites

French Court Rejects Lawsuit Aiming to Block Top Porn Sites

PARIS — A French court rejected today a suit brought by two French “child protection” nonprofits demanding that the country's main internet service providers totally block several top adult sites, which the nonprofits claim are “too accessible to minors.”

The ruling was reported to Reuters by Gaelle de Montousse, head of communications at e-Enfance, one of the two plaintiffs.

e-Enfance (“e-Childhood”) and La Voix de l’Enfant (“The Voice of the Child”) believe that sites such as Pornhub, TuKif, XNXX, xHamster, XVideos, Redtube and YouPorn “make the pornographic content accessible to minors and do not verify the age of those browsing or they merely make them check a box stating they are over 18,” their lawyer, Laurent Bayon, told newspaper Le Figaro early last month when the lawsuit was announced.

“The court has rejected the claim and the sites will not be blocked,” de Montousse told Reuters today.

Today’s ruling favored the defendants, top French ISPs Orange, SFR, Bouygues Télécom, Free, Colt Technologies Services and Outre mer Télécomare.

Back in March, as XBIZ reported, the seven top adult websites in France were pressured by the Conseil Supérieur de l'Audiovisuel, or CSA — the country’s media regulatory agency roughly equivalent to the FCC — to develop their own age verification systems under threat of closure.

A Controversial Amendment

In February, the CSA sent a letter to Pornhub, xHamster, XVideos, XNXX, TuKif, and three Jacquie Et Michel sites demanding activation of “an age-verification system” by March 16.

The request followed the French parliament's passage, in 2020, of a domestic violence law which, in the words of an open letter by XVideos owner WGCZ, “was amended with two articles concerning the distribution of pornography online [imposing] age verification on the users.”

That amendment, the WGCZ statement pointed out, was adopted by an atypical “accelerated procedure” with a very small number of legislators present, following an initiative by President Emmanuel Macron’s government; less than 10% of “députés” were present during the vote and none of the legislators asked about the law’s consequences or the method of age verification to be employed.

“If you ask yourself, as we do, what does pornography have to do with domestic violence, you’d be given this explanation: people can be induced to see and then reproduce ‘violent’ sexual practices seen online,” the WGCZ open letter stated.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Brazil Invites Public Input on AV Guidelines

Brazil’s National Data Protection Authority (ANPD) on Friday launched a public consultation on developing guidelines for age verification mechanisms under the country’s Digital Statute for Children and Adolescents (Digital ECA), which requires adult websites to age-verify users located in Brazil.

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Show More