Japan: Adult Magazines Face Trouble Ahead of Tokyo Olympics

Japan: Adult Magazines Face Trouble Ahead of Tokyo Olympics

TOKYO — Social pressure surrounding the upcoming Tokyo Olympics has resulted in distribution troubles for traditional Japanese adult magazines, which have drastically harmed the already dwindling sector.

According to a report by Hanako Montgomery published today by Vice's international news unit, “in the years since Japan won the bid to host the 2020 games, complaints mounted that the magazine covers were offensive to women and inappropriate in front of children.”

In the years leading up to the games’ original date of Summer 2020, “some of the country’s biggest convenience store chains — MiniStop, Lawson and 7-Eleven — said they would stop selling the publications altogether, accelerating the titles’ demise.”

The Tokyo Olympic Games were postponed to July 23-Aug 8, 2021, due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Fear of Being Seen as 'Underdeveloped'

Mongomery interviewed Akira Ikoma, editor-in-chief of the porn magazine My Journey, who said Japan is “hiding this part of the culture because they’re embarrassed.”

“Even sex stores with really dirty signs have been made to change or get rid of them in preparation for the Olympics,” Ikoma added. “They have to make Japan look like a developed country, and if they have these magazines out, the society looks underdeveloped.”

As with their U.S. counterparts, convenience stores (“conbini”) were traditionally a leading channel of adult magazine distribution.

But bowing down to public pressure — with “save the children” campaigns that echo NCOSE’s long-running efforts to ban any magazine that discusses sexuality or shows swimsuit and underwear models from all American drugstores and supermarkets (e.g., Cosmopolitan, Sports Illustrated) — Japanese convenience stores chain have used the Olympics as an excuse for their “moral cleanup” efforts.

Last year, as rumors spread of the Olympics having to be cancelled, the Lawson chain stuck to their decision and recently told Vice that a cancellation of the games would have had “no effect on the discontinuation of conbini porn.”

Censorship Aims to Protect 'the Image of Japan'

In January 2019, the Japan Times reported that the three aforementioned — and largest — convenience chain operators planned to remove pornographic magazines from their store shelves across the nation by the end of August that year.

One of the chains, FamilyMart, cast the censorship decision as something of a feminist gesture pitching “adult magazines for men” against “an increasingly diversified customer base.”

Another chain, Lawson, told the Japan Times that while previously their “main customers were men in their 20s and 30s,” more recently “we’ve seen more elderly people, women and children shopping at our stores.”

The spokesperson for Lawson alleged that “a surge in the number of international travelers coming to their stores these days” meant that “displaying sexually explicit magazines restricted to those aged 18 or older in stores could hurt the image of Japan.”

Both 7-Eleven and FamilyMart acknowledged that some franchisees might decide to continue selling adult magazines to retain their profitability.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Clémence Audiard on Blending Gonzo With High-Style Eroticism

There's an unmistakable radiance that surrounds Clémence Audiard — a glow born of the power to manifest her own vision. With Clemence Crave, her self-funded and self-directed production house, Audiard has sculpted a universe entirely her own.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Magic Silk Expands 'Exposed' Line With 'Sinful' Collection

Magic Silk has expanded its Exposed line of lingerie with the Sinful collection.

Sofie Marie Makes Her WIFEY Debut

Sofie Marie stars with her husband Spike, Dan Damage, and Isiah Maxwell in the latest release from Vixen Media Group studio imprint WIFEY.

Elegant Angel Debuts James Avalon Drama 'Summer & Joy'

Elegant Angel has released the first installment of the James Avalon-helmed drama "Summer & Joy."

Octavia Red Stars in 'Lipstick on the Glass' From Deeper

Reigning XMAs Girl/Girl Performer of the Year Octavia Red stars with Ashley Lane and Mannie Coco in "Lipstick on the Glass," from Vixen Media Group studio imprint Deeper.

Inside the Impact of New AV Laws on Sex Toy Ecommerce

Over the past few years, age verification (AV) has gone from a niche policy discussion to a very real, very immediate concern for anyone operating in the adult space.

Lucy Mochi Makes Her Blacked Debut

Lucy Mochi has made her debut for Vixen Media Group (VMG) studio imprint Blacked, alongside Hollywood Cash, in the studio’s latest release.

Gia Derza Toplines Latest Volume of Pat Myne's 'Gape For Days'

Gia Derza headlines director Pat Myne's "Gape For Days 6," from Evil Angel.

Show More