Nepal Lawmakers Order Crackdown on Online Adult Sites

Nepal Lawmakers Order Crackdown on Online Adult Sites

KATHMANDU, Nepal — The government of Nepal last week ordered more than 24,000 adult entertainment sites blocked, according to Al Jazeera.

The reason, according to Al Jazeera's report, is to put a clamp on sexual violence in the country, which was said to have doubled in the past several months.

"Easy access to porn and vulgar content through the internet has affected our social values and social harmony and it has encouraged sexual violence," the government said in a statement to Al Jazeera.

The list of sites authorities told providers to block has not been made public. Just 60 percent of Nepal's population has access to the web, so the state crackdown raises questions about the efficacy of blocking online adult content to curb sexual violence.

Binaya Bohara, CEO of Vianet, an ISP, warned that the government's directive would be difficult to follow.

"There are many back-end ways to reach these sites. It's not a very effective way of doing things," Bohara was quoted in Al Jazeera.

The real problem with sexual violence in Nepal is the lack of justice for women who do take complaints of domestic and sexual violence to the police, according to women's rights activist Mohna Ansari of the National Human Rights Commission, who added that country lawmakers are "closing their eyes to the reality."

Nepal is a landlocked country in South Asia sharing its borders with China in the north and India on three other sides. 

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More