China Telecom Increasing Website Monitoring After Porn Lawsuit

BEIJING — China Telecom, the country's major telecommunications operator, will increase monitoring of service providers on its Vnet.cn website after a lawsuit claimed one regional channel was providing adult movies.

Last week, a user sued the website's Hunan province channel for providing "a great deal of" pornographic movies, according to China Youth Daily. Hunan Telecom, the Hunan channel's operator, immediately terminated relations with and blacklisted the service provider, Hunan Hexun Technology Co., according to a statement from China Telecom. The statement also said that managers of the Hunan channel's operating center were suspended.

China Telecom announced plans to set up inspection teams inside the company and in its provincial units, adopt a real-time monitoring method and encourage public supervision of their efforts.

Yang Keke, general manager of China Telecom's Internet and value-added service department, said that the company would accelerate building of its information security technology platform for Vnet.cn and adopt an automatic identification and filtering system for online pornography.

"Technically, it is quite difficult for us to accurately identify pornographic pictures and videos, which are different from text information," Yang said.

This effort is the latest in an ongoing campaign started in April by the Chinese government to remove sexually explicit images, stories, and audio and video clips from the web. By mid-May, Chinese police had dealt with 244 cases and arrested 270 people in connection with online pornography.

The number of Internet users in China was estimated at 123 million in mid-2006. About 15 percent — or 18 million — are under the age of 18.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Brazil Invites Public Input on AV Guidelines

Brazil’s National Data Protection Authority (ANPD) on Friday launched a public consultation on developing guidelines for age verification mechanisms under the country’s Digital Statute for Children and Adolescents (Digital ECA), which requires adult websites to age-verify users located in Brazil.

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More