More Fallout From U.S. Attorney Dismissals, DOJ Oversaw Sale of Obscene Materials

WASHINGTON — Reasons surrounding the dismissal of eight U.S. attorneys last year may still remain unclear as the House Judiciary Committee continues to investigate, but court documents reveal that one of the ousted prosecutors, Arizona U.S Attorney Paul Charlton, may have been put on the chopping block because of the JM Productions obscenity trial.

In an ironic twist of fate, the U.S. government may have supervised the sale of the four adult titles now at issue in the JM Productions obscenity trial, according to court documents.

In an Aug. 31 motion to dismiss the obscenity charges against Christopher Ankeney and Five Star Video, attorney Richard Hertzberg argued that the government had overseen the sale of the videos in question — “Filthy Things 6,” “Gag Factor 15,” “Gag Factor 18” and “American Bukkake 13.”

According to court documents, the government’s involvement in the sale of the indicted JM videos began some years earlier when another Arizona retailer, The Castle Megastore corporation, filed for bankruptcy.

Under the terms of the bankruptcy settlement, the U.S. Trustee’s Office of the Justice Department administered Castle’s business while it attempted to pay off its creditors. During that time, the U.S. government appointed Vern Schweigert and Mark Franks to run the day-to-day operations of the company. Between 2003 and 2006, Castle stores throughout Arizona sold more than 100 copies of the four indicted titles, according to court papers.

In the motion to dismiss, Hertzberg argued that the U.S. government, which oversaw Castle’s business, was estopped — barred — from bringing an obscenity charge against his client, Five Star, because it had in fact approved the sale the indicted materials.

“The court should dismiss this case because the government itself has acquiesced in a community standard that permits sale of the indicted materials,” Hertzberg wrote.

Hertzberg declined to comment to XBIZ on the case or the politics surrounding Charlton’s dismissal, saying only that the former was an ongoing criminal matter.

Free Speech Coalition Board Chairman Jeffrey Douglas told XBIZ the government’s position in the case against JM and Five Star is embarrassing and hypocritical.

“It is bizarre beyond belief that the federal government is engaging in the same behavior that they themselves are indicting others for engaging in on a much smaller scale,” Douglas said.

Less than a month after Herzberg’s motion to dismiss, Brent Ward, who heads Justice’s obscenity task force, emailed Attorney General Alberto Gonzales’ chief of staff, Kyle Sampson, to raise concerns about Charlton and another U.S. attorney, Dan Bogden, with respect to obscenity prosecutions in their districts.

“We have two U.S. attorneys who are unwilling to take good cases we have presented to them,” Ward wrote. “They are Paul Charlton in Phoenix (this is urgent) and Dan Bogden in Las Vegas. In light of the AG's [Attorney General's] comments at the NAC to 'kick butt and take names,’ what do you suggest I do? Do you think at this point that these names should go through channels to reach the AG, or is it enough for me to give the names to you? If you want to act on what I give you, I will be glad to provide a little more context for each of the two situations.”

In Charlton’s case, the emphasis that the matter was urgent suggests that officials in Washington were referring to the only obscenity trial in Arizona — the JM/Five Star litigation.

Ann Harwood, Charlton’s second in command, told reporters that she knew of no other obscenity case in Arizona.

At the time, no case had been filed by Bogden in Nevada.

Whether officials at Justice pressed Charlton to go forward with a case that could have been a potential embarrassment to law enforcement in Arizona, given the federal government’s involvement in the Castle bankruptcy, or whether Charlton balked at such a proposition is unknown. However, Judiciary Committee Chairman Rep. John Conyers Jr., D-Mich., has vowed to find out why eight U.S. attorneys, including Charlton and Bogden, were dismissed.

“We will get to the bottom of this crisis in our Justice Department with or without cooperation,” he said. “The U.S. attorneys are entrusted with tremendous power in our criminal justice system. Using the U.S. attorneys as political pawns undermines their critical work in fighting terrorism and risks subjecting the power of the prosecutor to partisan whims.”

One known element in the Charlton saga is Washington’s schizophrenic characterization of his suitability to hold the office of U.S. attorney. At times he was rated highly by the administration, while at other times his name appeared on memos of U.S. attorneys to be fired.

White House Counsel and former U.S. Supreme Court nominee Harriet Miers, who headed the Bush Administration’s review of the U.S. attorneys to be dismissed, vacillated on Charlton. His name was not on the original March 2, 2005 list of attorneys to be dismissed, nor did Sampson originally include Charlton in a Jan. 1, 2006 memo regarding the same issue. Charlton’s name does appear on a Feb. 10, 2006 memo on the same subject, but an April 14 memo from Sampson does not list Charlton as an attorney to be dismissed.

The case against JM and Five Star remains a pending matter in the U.S. District Court for Arizona. No trial date has been set.

At the same time Conyers released his documents from his investigation to the press, Gonzales announced that Sampson, who orchestrated what Conyers called a purge, had resigned.

While it is not uncommon for U.S. Presidents to replace all U.S. attorneys, doing so midterm is an unusual step.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Wisconsin AV Bill Moves Ahead, Minus Anti-VPN Provisions

The Wisconsin state Senate on Wednesday advanced a bill that would require adult websites to verify the ages of users, but approved an amendment striking proposed language that would have required sites to block virtual private network traffic.

GirlsDoPorn Defendants Ordered to Pay Victims $75.5 Million

A federal court has ordered former GirlsDoPorn owner Michael Pratt and his co-defendants in the GDP sex trafficking case to pay restitution totaling $75,568,283.47 to 106 victims.

Another German Court Rejects Blocking Orders Against Pornhub, YouPorn

A German court has blocked the Rhineland-Palatinate Media Authority (MA RLP) from forcing telecom providers based within the court’s jurisdiction to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

Ofcom Fines Kick Online Entertainment $1 Million for AV Noncompliance

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Thursday fined Kick Online Entertainment 800,000 pounds (more than $1 million) for failing to implement age checks as required for compliance with the Online Safety Act.

FSC Details Legislative Outlook for 2026

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has laid out the legislative outlook for the industry in 2026.

Judge Dismisses NCOSE-Backed Suits Against Adult Sites Over Kansas AV Law

A federal judge on Tuesday dismissed lawsuits brought against two adult websites in Kansas for alleged violations of the state’s age verification law.

Aylo/SWOP Panel Spotlights Creators' Struggle for Digital, Financial Rights

Aylo and Sex Workers Outreach Project (SWOP) Behind Bars presented, on Tuesday, an online panel on creators’ rights, debanking and deplatforming.

AV Bulletin: Canada, Italy, Australia Updates

Since the Supreme Court’s decision in Free Speech Coalition v. Paxton, more state age verification laws have been enacted around the United States, as well as proposed at the federal level and in other countries. This roundup provides an update on the latest news and developments on the age verification front as it impacts the adult industry.

Virginia 'Porn Tax' Bill Delayed Until 2027

A Virginia House of Delegates subcommittee on Monday voted to postpone until next year consideration of a bill that would impose a 10% tax on the gross receipts of adult websites doing business in that state.

Virginia Becomes Latest State to Weigh 'Porn Tax'

The Virginia House of Delegates is considering a bill that would impose a 10% tax on the gross receipts of adult websites doing business in that state.

Show More