Former Prenda Law Counsel Loses Appeal in Minn.

Former Prenda Law Counsel Loses Appeal in Minn.

MINNEAPOLIS — A Minnesota appeals court today found that former Prenda Law attorney Paul Hansmeier should be held liable along with others for defendants’ attorneys fees and costs stemming from a porn piracy case.

The case involving Hansmeier stems from sanctions imposed and affirmed last year.

The Minnesota Court of Appeals had ruled on a decision affirming a district court’s $63,000 judgment for attorneys fees against Guava LLC, a company that held copyrights for a number of adult films.

The court agreed with a lower court that Guava and the Alpha Law Firm’s suit against the defendants misused the subpoena process and ended up as an attempt to “harass and burden non-parties through obtaining IP addresses to pursue possible settlement rather than proceed with potentially embarrassing litigation regarding downloading pornographic movies.”

Afterward, a judgment creditor moved to add Hansmeier as a judgment debtor because of the Prenda Law attorney’s ties to the Alpha Law Group.

The district court granted the motion after new evidence that came to light in the debtors’ examinations showing that Hansmeier had intentionally defunded the Alpha Law Firm’s bank account and that his testimony to the court had been inconsistent.

His actions, the district court said, necessitated it to “pierce the corporate veil” and hold him jointly and severally liable, along with the copyright holder and the Alpha Law Firm, which initially filed the case against the original defendant. Hansmeier, meanwhile, appealed the court’s finding.

In its decision today, the appeals court ruled that the district court did not abuse its discretion by piercing Alpha Law Firm’s corporate veil to hold Hansmeier liable as a judgment debtor.

The appellate panel wrote that “Hansmeier knew of the possibility of sanctions in this action, transferred Alpha’s money away, and terminated Alpha to avoid paying the judgments in this action.”

“The record supports those findings, which clearly show that Hansmeier abused the corporate-liability shield to avoid paying sanctions in a bad-faith lawsuit for which he was responsible,” the appeals court said. “Neither the judgment debtors’ motion to post funds nor John Doe’s opposition to that motion undermines the conclusion that Hansmeier operated Alpha in an unjust manner."

View today's ruling

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More