Studio That Sued Over ‘Michael Lucas' La Dolce Vita’ Loses Again

LOS ANGELES — International Media Films, the mainstream film studio that filed an infringement lawsuit and lost against gay adult company Lucas Entertainment Inc. over “Michael Lucas' La Dolce Vita" several years ago, has lost again at federal court over the Federico Fellini classic.

U.S. District Judge James Otero last month signed a default judgment over the U.S. rights to "La Dolce Vita,” awarding $900,000 to Paramount.

Paramount claimed in November 2011 that International Media Films infringed on the copyright of "La Dolce Vita," which it secured through a deal with the movie's true owner, Melange Pictures.

According to Paramount’s lawsuit, International Media sent cease-and-desist letters to the mainstream studio, staking a claim of ownership in the film.

International Media alleged that its chain of title to the film rights originated from Cinemat's transfer of rights in 1980; it also questioned Paramount's right to distribute the movie, claiming that an earlier 1962 transfer was invalid.

But in June 2013, a federal judge granted partial summary judgment to Paramount, finding International Media provided no evidence that it holds chain of title to the film rights.

Years earlier, International Media tested infringement claims when it accused Lucas Entertainment of making an unauthorized porn version of "La Dolce Vita."

That case against the iconic gay porn brand lasted three years and was later dismissed because International Media was found to have lacked a credible documentation of its chain of title, as in the Paramount case.

At the time Lucas Entertainment founder CEO Michael Lucas said that the studio was lucky to have quality legal advice and the financial resources “to stand up to this bullying."

“Of course I can only guess at my opponents' motivations, but if they thought that they could get a quick payday by walking all over a porn company, they were sorely mistaken,” Lucas said at the time.

In the Paramount case, International Media was ordered to pay $475,000 in damages and $425,000 in attorneys fees and costs.

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Clémence Audiard on Blending Gonzo With High-Style Eroticism

There's an unmistakable radiance that surrounds Clémence Audiard — a glow born of the power to manifest her own vision. With Clemence Crave, her self-funded and self-directed production house, Audiard has sculpted a universe entirely her own.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Sofie Marie Makes Her WIFEY Debut

Sofie Marie stars with her husband Spike, Dan Damage, and Isiah Maxwell in the latest release from Vixen Media Group studio imprint WIFEY.

Elegant Angel Debuts James Avalon Drama 'Summer & Joy'

Elegant Angel has released the first installment of the James Avalon-helmed drama "Summer & Joy."

Octavia Red Stars in 'Lipstick on the Glass' From Deeper

Reigning XMAs Girl/Girl Performer of the Year Octavia Red stars with Ashley Lane and Mannie Coco in "Lipstick on the Glass," from Vixen Media Group studio imprint Deeper.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

Lucy Mochi Makes Her Blacked Debut

Lucy Mochi has made her debut for Vixen Media Group (VMG) studio imprint Blacked, alongside Hollywood Cash, in the studio’s latest release.

Gia Derza Toplines Latest Volume of Pat Myne's 'Gape For Days'

Gia Derza headlines director Pat Myne's "Gape For Days 6," from Evil Angel.

Lovita Fate, Betzz Lead Latest From Immoral Productions

Lovita Fate and Betzz star in a new Immoral Productions trilogy alongside Matt Bird, Rob Hudson, and studio honcho “Porno Dan” Leal.

Show More