Vibrators.com Gains With Government Shutdown Publicity

TROY, Mich. — For a week now, Vibrators.com has been giving away at least 200 vibes a day as part of its latest promo.

“Yesterday was the craziest — 200 vibes went in less than six minutes,” PriveCo President Tom Nardone told XBIZ. “We don’t run out of vibes, we run out of the ability to ship.”

Last Friday, Nardone announced it would show support for furloughed federal employees by offering them a free vibrator, shipped privately and discreetly to their door, no purchase required.

“The first couple of days we were on Cosmo, Howard Stern — and a lot of legitimate people came to our site,” Nardone said, “but in the days that followed, a lot of coupon sites picked up on it so we’ve had to come up with ways to make it more civil.”

Nardone said the new strategy for its giveaway includes making the offer live at different times each day and withholding its announcement of that time until an hour before the promo goes live. Vibrators.com also changes its promo code every day.

“It’s been fun,” Nardone said. “It’s cost a bit of money but we’re also seeing a pickup in regular sales.”

It’s evidenced by the fact that now more than ever before visitors are also taking advantage of Vibrators.com’s free gift with order offer, Nardone said. While previously few shoppers were willing to pay $3.95 for shipping of the free toy, now Vibrators.com is shipping 100-150 of them per day.

“It’s an interesting phenomenon,” Nardone said of the publicity stunt’s effect, which he says is costing him approximately $800 per day.

“The publicity is worth way more,” he said. “In the long-term it will pay off through SEO with all of the online media mentions and links to Vibrators.com.”

Another non-economic benefit of Vibrators.com’s promo is the building of a stronger fan base. Nardone says a lot more Facebook fans have come to the defense of the e-tailer when free vibe seekers have become unruly.

“Karma points,” he said. “People are feeling more entitled to the free vibes within the last couple of days, complaining on Facebook — fans have been defending us whereas two weeks ago they wouldn’t have cared.”

Nardone said the un-premeditated idea for the promo came to him last Friday afternoon and quickly made the announcement. He says he is adamant about sticking to his offer.

“We’re going to keep going for as long as the shutdown lasts,” he said. “I’m not going back on my word.”

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Nexus Expands 'Bendz' Collection

Nexus has introduced a collection of anal plugs from its Bendz line.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Orion Debuts 2 New Styles From Cottelli Lingerie

Orion Wholesale has introduced two new styles from its Cottelli Lingerie line.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Magic Silk Expands 'Exposed' Line With 'Sinful' Collection

Magic Silk has expanded its Exposed line of lingerie with the Sinful collection.

Inside the Impact of New AV Laws on Sex Toy Ecommerce

Over the past few years, age verification (AV) has gone from a niche policy discussion to a very real, very immediate concern for anyone operating in the adult space.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

Orion Debuts New Styles From 'Svenjoyment' Line

Orion Wholesale has released three new styles from its Svenjoyment undergarment line.

Show More