AOL Releases Private User Search Queries

NEW YORK — Responding to an apparent privacy breakdown, AOL has apologized for releasing search queries generated by more than 650,000 of its users.

Word of the information leak spread like wildfire on the Internet when blogs began linking to a database of search queries compiled by the Time Warner-owned company over the past three months.

A research unit inside of AOL released the data — which the company maintains was supposed to remain private — in late July. Shortly after the release, blogs, lead by TechCrunch.com, began linking to the study, which consists of more than 20 million search queries.

AOL spokesman Andrew Weinsten apologized on behalf of the company.

"This was a screw up, and we're angry and upset about it," Weinstein said. "It was an innocent-enough attempt to reach out to the academic community with new research tools, but it was obviously not appropriately vetted, and if it had been, it would have been stopped in an instant."

AOL is actively trying to determine precisely how the information was leaked to the public, Weinstein said.

According to attorney Jason Epstein, the disclosure, though embarrassing, probably did not violate AOL’s own privacy policy.

"This is more of a business snafu than anything else," Epstein said.

While AOL may not have a legal problem arising out of the leak, it certainly has created a breach of trust with its users, according to several bloggers who linked to the study.

“If you searched for something on AOL this year, you might want to think about what keywords you used and which links you clicked on," blogger Matthew Gifford said.

According to TechCrunch, none of the queries included users’ identities. However, many users conducted so-called “vanity queries,” typing in their own names.

"Combine these ego searches with porn queries and you have a serious embarrassment,” TechCrunch blogger Michael Arrington said. “Combine them with ‘buy ecstasy’ and you have evidence of a crime. Combine it with an address, social security number, etc. and you have an identity theft waiting to happen. The possibilities are endless."

The link to the actual file containing the searches in question is no longer available on AOL’s website.

In March, federal Judge James Ware ordered Google to submit 50,000 random website addresses to the U.S. Department of Justice. Many privacy experts had praised Google for taking a stand against the government’s efforts to resurrect the 1998 Child Online Protection Act. In the same case, Ware, citing privacy concerns, declined to give the government access to 5,000 Internet queries the government had requested to build a database of online search habits.

AOL’s recent leak effectively gives the world access to more than 650,000 similar queries, a CNET blog said.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Brazil Invites Public Input on AV Guidelines

Brazil’s National Data Protection Authority (ANPD) on Friday launched a public consultation on developing guidelines for age verification mechanisms under the country’s Digital Statute for Children and Adolescents (Digital ECA), which requires adult websites to age-verify users located in Brazil.

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More