CANOGA PARK, Calif. — The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) was notified today by the L.A. City Administrator’s Office that the L.A. City Council has referred development of enforcement strategy for the city condom ordinance to the Arts, Parks, Health & Aging Committee.
Until recently, the development of an implementation and enforcement strategy had been charged to the City Administrator-appointed Working Group on the City of Los Angeles Safer Sex in the Adult Film Industry Ordinance, the FSC noted.
At the last meeting of the working group on May 11, the group postponed submitting the results of a report that would have recommended protocols for enforcing condom use on adult productions.
A few days later, it was widely reported that the working group had requested a 90-day extension of presenting the results of the report.
The FSC said it is unclear why the issue has been referred to the Arts, Parks, Health & Aging Committee. That committee is made up of three L.A. City Council members, including Councilmen Richard Alarcon (7th District), Tom LaBonge (4th District) and Ed P. Reyes (1st District).
The group maintained that it will continue to aggressively provide input to make sure the best interests of the industry are represented to city officials.
“This is an issue of great importance to the industry and Los Angeles taxpayers,” FSC executive director Diane Duke said. “City officials need to hear adult industry members concerns around the condom ordinance.”
“Meanwhile, AIDS Healthcare Foundation continues to spend millions on collecting signatures to put the condom ordinance on the L.A. County ballot in November,” Duke added. “There have been no transmissions of HIV on and adult production set since 2004. In a lawsuit filed by AHF against L.A. County, the County already established that adult productions pose no threat to public health. AHF’s efforts not only squander donor funds that could be utilized for the prevention and treatment of HIV, but also waste valuable tax dollars that are desperately needed elsewhere.”