Flava Works Wins Injunction Against MyVidster

CHICAGO — A federal judge has ordered a preliminary injunction against MyVidster.com, a "social video bookmarking and backup service" that has been accused of streaming Flava Works' gay content.

Flava Works CEO Phillip Bleicher told XBIZ that Thursday's ruling is "even more bad news for pirates."

MyVidster, operated by Marques Rondale Gunter, is a user-generated tube site that had been fingered by Flava Works, which focuses on black and Latino talent, for streaming several of its copyrighted movies.

The suit named Gunter, as well as hosting service Voxel and 26 John Doe users of the site, to the suit. (Voxel, which recently dumped MyVidster as a client, has been pared from the injunction.)

Thursday's ruling sets in motion rules to "adopt and reasonably implement a repeat-infringer policy," where MyVidster will be forced to create a filtering system and compile a series of compliance reports. The decision also sets up claims for damages relative to copyright infringement.

MyVidster had contended in court that it had complied with Flava Work's takedown notices pursuant to § 512 of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act; however U.S. Judge John Grady disagreed and that MyVidster didn't satisfy any of the threshold requirements.

"The email exchanges between Flava Works and Gunter show that Gunter did not always fully comply with the DMCA notices; even when he represented that certain content had been removed, it was not always fully removed, and Flava was forced to follow up with Gunter in an effort to have the entire content related to a particular file removed," Grady said in his ruling.

The federal judge went on to say that for Flava Works it was "sometimes like pulling teeth to obtain full compliance from Gunter."

"The crux of the problem here is not so much the removal of the infringing videos; it is Gunter’s attitude toward copyright protection and his related refusal to adopt measures to prevent or reduce copyright infringement on myVidster as well as to adopt and implement an appropriate policy regarding repeat infringers."

Grady noted that Bleicher, in testimony at federal court, said that there was so much of his company's content on MyVidster that he can point to lost sales due to the alleged infringement.

Grady also said that while Flava Works has seen lower revenue, MyVidster has seen more visitors, and perhaps more advertising revenue.

"Bleicher attributes at least some of Flava’s lost sales to myVidster because hundreds of Flava’s videos have appeared (and still appear) on myVidster," Grady said.

"Flava’s sales are down thirty percent from last year, which equates to a estimated loss of between $100,000 and $200,000, while the number of myVidster users has grown to over 70,000 since the site was created a few years ago. In addition, MyVidster grew from 67,000 visits per month from October 2009 to about 460,000 visits in April 2010." 

Grady ordered Flava Works to come up with a proposed preliminary injunction order in accordance with his opinion by Aug. 5

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More