Morality in Media Targets ASACP's Letter to Congress

NEW YORK — Morality in Media, an organization that has waged an ongoing campaign to censor porn, has issued a press release intended to discredit the recent efforts of the Association of Sites Advocating Child Protection (ASACP).

ASACP earlier this week sent a letter to Congress and state Attorney Generals offering a counterpoint to the anti-porn, phone-in and letter-writing campaign that is part of the “War on Pornography” being orchestrated by special interest groups such as MIM. The groups are demanding Internet censorship and Congressional interference with Constitutionally-protected speech.

ASACP CEO Joan Irvine said that proactive measures continue to be needed to provide a balanced view of the issues surrounding the legitimate adult entertainment industry, and the need to keep children away from adult-oriented materials.

In the Morality in Media press release, CEO Patrick Trueman says that ASACP states that Congress "does not need to prosecute illegal adult producers and distributors under existing laws because they are not involved in obscenity."

“Nothing could be further from the truth,” suggested Trueman, the former chief of the U.S. Department of Justice Child Exploitation and Obscenity Section, Criminal Division.

The press release goes on to state that, "Today, hardcore Internet pornography is the lifeblood of the porn industry and should be prosecuted under U.S. obscenity laws."   

“Many of the very groups that are part of ASACP are the ones responsible for giving the children of America unfettered access to hardcore obscene pornography on their websites," Morality in Media claims in its release. 

It continues, "Under the tenure of Attorney General [Eric] Holder, no illegal adult pornographers have been indicted and the Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in DOJ's Criminal Division has been shut down. These actions caused U.S. Senator Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, and Reps. Mike McIntyre, D-N.C., and Randy Forbes, R-VA. to circulate a letter for signatures in Congress urging U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder to enforce existing obscenity laws. The Coalition for the War on Illegal Pornography has been working to get signatures on the letter."

Trueman added, “As a result of these efforts, Congress has been flooded with a groundswell of public outcry regarding the lack of obscenity law enforcement, with more than a quarter million people asking their elected officials to sign this letter."
 
“We will see which side our elected officials take on this matter now that they’ve been solicited by the pornography industry for support. ... We’re simply asking for the enforcement of existing obscenity laws which would shut down most of the hardcore pornography available today on the Internet.”  

ASACP's Irvine on Friday addressed the MIM response to her organization's endeavors.

"I wrote the letter talking about ASACP and what the industry is doing — providing truth and documentation," Irvine told XBIZ. "I was really surprised that their reaction was a personal attack against ASACP and myself. I’m very hurt because I’ve devoted eight-and-a-half years of my life to protecting children and ASACP has been protecting children for the past 15 years now.

"We dealt with reality and statistics in the letter and they responded with a personal attack."

Related:  

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Sara Jay, Dan Leal to Sponsor XBIZ Amsterdam Kick-Off Event

Sara Jay’s Wyde Syde Productions and Porno Dan Leal’s Market64 will co-sponsor the Bottoms Up Day Drinking kick-off event for XBIZ Amsterdam 2025 at Excalibur Café on Sept. 2, from 2-4 p.m. (CET).

AEBN Publishes Report on DP Trends

AEBN has published a report on DP and extreme penetration categories from its straight and gay theaters.

Free Speech Coalition Appoints Megan Stokes to Board of Directors

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) announced today that it has appointed Megan Stokes to its Board of Directors.

FansRevenue Acquires DivaTraffic

FansRevenue has acquired web traffic service DivaTraffic.

AEBN Announces Peter Green as Top Male Boy/Girl Performer for Summer 2025

AEBN has revealed its top 10 male Boy/Girl performers for summer 2025, with Peter Green landing atop the leaderboard.

Spicey AI Relaunches Site, Debuts $Spicey Tokens

Interactive voice chat platform Spicey AI has relaunched its website and introduced $Spicey tokens.

FSC: Missouri Age Verification Rule Will Not Take Effect August 30

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) announced that Missouri's proposed age verification legislation will not take effect on August 30, as it had originally estimated.

Little Caprice, Marcello Bravo to Co-Host 2025 XMA Europa Awards

XBIZ is pleased to announce that husband-and-wife duo Little Caprice and Marcello Bravo will co-host adult’s biggest night in Europe: the 2025 XMA Europa Awards on Sept. 4, in the epic climax to XBIZ’s fall events series.

Germany Will Block Payments to AV-Noncompliant Adult Sites as of Dec. 1

Starting Dec. 1, Germany will implement new rules prohibiting financial institutions from providing payment services to adult sites deemed to have inadequate age verification systems and making it easier for the government to target websites mirroring the content of such sites.

Jerkmate Joins Pineapple Support as Partner-Level Sponsor

Jerkmate has joined the ranks of over 70 adult businesses and organizations committing funds and resources to Pineapple Support.

Show More