Microsoft Wants Internet Explorer 6 Gone for Good

REDMOND, Wash. — Microsoft wants its 10-year-old Internet Explorer 6 (IE6) browser gone for good.

The company reportedly launched a deathwatch today that included a website that shows declining usage and links where corporate IT departments can get advice on how to migrate to newer browsers like IE8 and impending IE9.

Although Microsoft reported statistics from web analytics firm Net Applications that shows IE6 holds onto a 12 percent global usage share, the company said it wants to reduce the aged browser’s share to under 1 percent.

IE6's stronghold is in business, where upgrading can be difficult because of custom Web applications or Intranets designed for the old browser.

In a Microsoft blog, Roger Capriotti, head of IE's marketing wrote, "We bring you the next step in our mission to see IE6 gone for good. To demonstrate our commitment to getting rid of IE6, we're launching a website."

The deathwatch website details Net Applications' usage share numbers for IE6 in 43 countries, including the U.S., China, Japan, Germany and Russia, as well as the browser's current global share.

China leads usage of IE6 at 34.5 percent, followed by South Korea at 24.8 percent, India at 12.3 percent and Taiwan at 10.7 percent. The U.S. accounts for just 2.9 percent.

Microsoft’s wish to kill IE6 is nothing new. A company executive reportedly said in 2009 that "Friends don't let friends use IE6."

Although Microsoft wants users to move to IE8 and IE9, it has not been able to stop users from abandoning its browser line completely and switching to rivals like Google's Chrome and Apple's Safari.

In the last year IE has reportedly lost 4.8 percentage points, dropping to a 56.8 percent share.

At the same time, Chrome has gained 5.3 points, while Safari has increased its share by 1.9 percentage points according to Net Applications.

At this pace IE6 should fall under 1 percent by June 2012.

Microsoft said it will support IE6 until April 2014.

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Brazil Invites Public Input on AV Guidelines

Brazil’s National Data Protection Authority (ANPD) on Friday launched a public consultation on developing guidelines for age verification mechanisms under the country’s Digital Statute for Children and Adolescents (Digital ECA), which requires adult websites to age-verify users located in Brazil.

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More