Playboy Sees Improved Media Results but Restructuring Drags Income

CHICAGO — Playboy Enterprises said Tuesday that cost-cutting efforts and improved media results contributed to increased segment income in its second quarter.

While it ended with an $8.7 million loss in the second quarter, the company attributed that loss to a restructuring charge primarily related to the closing of the company’s New York office.

Excluding that charge, Playboy’s net income was $400,000 for the quarter. In the same period last year, the company reported a net loss of $3.2 million.

One bright spot, Playboy said, was its print/digital group, which reported an increase in second-quarter segment income to $2.3 million from $100,000 in the prior year period. Revenue for the group was $28.3 million in the quarter, down $3.9 million from second quarter 2008.

Primarily as a result of a double issue, Playboy magazine’s circulation revenue grew 16 percent in the second quarter to $12.9 million compared to the same period last year.

“Efforts to better manage our cost structure while improving our customers’ experience will continue,” Playboy CEO Scott Flanders said. “I believe this company has taken many of the right steps in outsourcing or exiting unprofitable businesses and that those which remain are critical to our future.”

Playboy said the global economic slowdown has pared royalty payments in its licensing business, but it is optimistic about expanding into new regions, including Latin America.

Flanders said he expects the licensing segment to show year-over-year revenue and income growth in the 2009 second half, fueled by a strong fourth quarter.

Related:  

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Pure Taboo Debuts 'Behind the Scenes Documentary' for Latest 'Under the Bed'

Pure Taboo has released a behind-the-scenes documentary on its series “Under the Bed,” spotlighting the episode “The Growth.”

Connie Perignon Toplines David Perry's 'Sexual Desires 2'

Connie Perignon headlines director David Perry's “Sexual Desires 2” from Evil Angel.

Proposed New Hampshire AV Bill Appears to Violate Constitution

A bill in the New Hampshire state legislature, aimed at requiring adult sites to age-verify users in that state, contains a provision that seemingly contradicts the Supremacy Clause in Article VI of the U.S. Constitution.

Rae Sixty Nine Makes Her TransAngels Debut

Rae Sixty Nine has made her TransAngels debut opposite Adam x Lee in the studio’s latest release, titled “Cock Ride.”

Ariel Demure Toplines 'TS MILFs' From TransSensual

Reigning XMAs Trans Performer of the Year Ariel Demure headlines “TS MILFs,” the latest title from Mile High Media studio imprint TransSensual.

AEBN Publishes Report on Fetish Trends

AEBN has published a report on fetish categories from its straight and gay theaters.

Online Child Protection Hearing to Include Federal AV Bill

A House subcommittee will hold a hearing next week on a slate of bills aimed at protecting minors online, including the SCREEN Act, which would make site-based age verification of users seeking to access adult content federal law.

Lana Wolf Returns to Immoral Productions

British star Lana Wolf stars in a new two-part scene from Immoral Productions alongside Dean Van Damme and studio honcho “Porno” Dan Leal.

Lulu Chu, Connie Perignon Star in 'Locked, Cocked & Loaded' From Brazzers

Lulu Chu and Connie Perignon star with Victor Ray in the latest release from Brazzers, titled "Locked, Cocked & Loaded."

Adriana Chechik Returns to Evil Angel With Blowbang From Jonni Darkko

Adriana Chechik has returned to Evil Angel with a blowbang from director Jonni Darkko.

Show More