Contempt Charges Levied Against Notorious Spyware Marketers

WASHINGTON — Two spyware marketers and a company were ordered by a federal judge Thursday to forfeit $550,000 for disobeying a previous court order that barred them from their business practices.

“Spamford” Sanford Wallace, Walter Rines and Rines’ business, Online Turbo Merchant, Inc., were ordered to pay after U.S. attorneys representing the Federal Trade Commission told a U.S. district judge that Rines violated a provision in a 2006 settlement order that required him to post a $500,000 performance bond before downloading or installing computer code or other content that causes the display of ads or collects personal information.

The court granted the FTC’s request to hold Rines’ business partner Wallace in contempt because he had notice of the order and helped Rines collect personal information online without users’ prior consent, in violation of the order.

In its original 2005 complaint, the FTC charged Odysseus Marketing and owner Rines with luring consumers to their MySpace websites by offering free software, including a program that supposedly allowed them to engage in anonymous peer-to-peer file sharing.

The bogus software was bundled with spyware that intercepted and replaced search results and barraged consumers’ computers with popup ads, according to the FTC. The agency charged that the defendants subjected MySpace users to phishing, pagejacking and mousetrapping scams.

In May 2008, MySpace won a $234 million judgment against Wallace and Rines.

And Wallace, earlier this year, was hit with another FTC complaint. Regulators said that he and others were responsible for phishing attacks and CAN-SPAM violations by posting spam messages on Facebook members' walls.

Just last month, Wallace, who has promoted himself as the “original Spam King,” filed Chapter 7 bankruptcy.

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Pearl Industry Network Launches 'TrustLink' Verification Platform for Creators

Trade group Pearl Industry Network (PiN) has launched TrustLink, its free verification platform for creators.

UPDATED: Supreme Court Rejects Tariffs, Trump Responds

The U.S. Supreme Court on Friday ruled against the Trump administration’s sweeping tariffs, which have significantly impacted the pleasure industry, prompting the president to announce a new tariff strategy as a workaround.

FSC Updates Complaint in Tennessee AV Case, AG Motions to Dismiss

The Free Speech Coalition this week filed an amended complaint in its lawsuit challenging the Protect Tennessee Minors Act as unconstitutional, in response to which the Tennessee attorney general motioned for dismissal of the case.

Cherie DeVille Joins Woodhull Freedom Foundation 'Free Speech' Panel

Multi-XMAs winner Cherie DeVille will join the upcoming Woodhull Freedom Foundation panel series "Fact Checked by Woodhull," addressing free speech on Feb. 26.

Wisconsin AV Bill Moves Ahead, Minus Anti-VPN Provisions

The Wisconsin state Senate on Wednesday advanced a bill that would require adult websites to verify the ages of users, but approved an amendment striking proposed language that would have required sites to block virtual private network traffic.

Pineapple Support Introduces 'Wellbeing by PS' Service

Pineapple Support has debuted its new Wellbeing by PS service, providing mental health support packages for companies and agencies.

MyMember.site Integrates Bluesky Functionality

MyMember.site has added Bluesky features to its website management platform.

GirlsDoPorn Defendants Ordered to Pay Victims $75.5 Million

A federal court has ordered former GirlsDoPorn owner Michael Pratt and his co-defendants in the GDP sex trafficking case to pay restitution totaling $75,568,283.47 to 106 victims.

SWR Data Publishes 'Clip Trend' Report

Adult industry market research firm SWR Data has published a report on clip platform performance and sales.

Another German Court Rejects Blocking Orders Against Pornhub, YouPorn

A German court has blocked the Rhineland-Palatinate Media Authority (MA RLP) from forcing telecom providers based within the court’s jurisdiction to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

Show More