FCC Chair Abandons Porn Filter-for-Free Internet Alternative

WASHINGTON — FCC Chairman Kevin Martin continues to pursue his plan to offer free wireless broadband service for the entire country, though he has abandoned plans to include a mandatory porn filter on the proposed service.

Martin's plan originated with the emergence of a portion of the wireless spectrum that came up for auction. When frequencies 2155 to 2180MHz became available, the FCC wanted to mandate that whoever won the auction would set aside a quarter of the airwaves for a free Internet service that would include no adult material.

The plan encountered many setbacks and much resistance, including a failed vote that the FCC tabled. This week Martin said he wants to see the plan to its fruition, but he can live without the adult filter.

"I'm saying if this is a problem for people, let's take it away," Martin told the tech blog ArsTechnica. "A lot of public-interest advocates have said they would support this, but we're concerned about the filter. Well, now there's an item in front of the commissioners and it no longer has the filter. And I've already voted for it without the filter now. So it's already got one vote."

Martin added that he has yet to secure any more votes in favor of his plan.

When the FCC tabled Martin's vote last week, two House Democrats wrote a letter urging the FCC to take another look at the idea. Bobby Rush (D-Ill.) and Adolphus Towns (D-N.Y.) sent the letter to the FCC's Jonathan Adelstein and Michael Copps.

"We are troubled by the cumbersome obstacles that this particular auction has faced over the years," they wrote.

Rep. Henry Waxman (D-Calif.) and Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D-W.V.), next year's chairs of their House Commerce and Senate Commerce committees, opposed the pursuit of the new, porn-free Internet.

"It would be counterproductive for the FCC to consider unrelated items, especially complex and controversial items that the new Congress and new administration will have an interest in reviewing," they wrote. "We strongly urge you to concentrate the Commission's attention and resources only on matters that require action under the law."

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Pearl Industry Network Launches 'TrustLink' Verification Platform for Creators

Trade group Pearl Industry Network (PiN) has launched TrustLink, its free verification platform for creators.

FSC Updates Complaint in Tennessee AV Case, AG Motions to Dismiss

The Free Speech Coalition this week filed an amended complaint in its lawsuit challenging the Protect Tennessee Minors Act as unconstitutional, in response to which the Tennessee attorney general motioned for dismissal of the case.

Cherie DeVille Joins Woodhull Freedom Foundation 'Free Speech' Panel

Multi-XMAs winner Cherie DeVille will join the upcoming Woodhull Freedom Foundation panel series "Fact Checked by Woodhull," addressing free speech on Feb. 26.

Wisconsin AV Bill Moves Ahead, Minus Anti-VPN Provisions

The Wisconsin state Senate on Wednesday advanced a bill that would require adult websites to verify the ages of users, but approved an amendment striking proposed language that would have required sites to block virtual private network traffic.

Pineapple Support Introduces 'Wellbeing by PS' Service

Pineapple Support has debuted its new Wellbeing by PS service, providing mental health support packages for companies and agencies.

MyMember.site Integrates Bluesky Functionality

MyMember.site has added Bluesky features to its website management platform.

GirlsDoPorn Defendants Ordered to Pay Victims $75.5 Million

A federal court has ordered former GirlsDoPorn owner Michael Pratt and his co-defendants in the GDP sex trafficking case to pay restitution totaling $75,568,283.47 to 106 victims.

SWR Data Publishes 'Clip Trend' Report

Adult industry market research firm SWR Data has published a report on clip platform performance and sales.

Another German Court Rejects Blocking Orders Against Pornhub, YouPorn

A German court has blocked the Rhineland-Palatinate Media Authority (MA RLP) from forcing telecom providers based within the court’s jurisdiction to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

Ofcom Fines Kick Online Entertainment $1 Million for AV Noncompliance

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Thursday fined Kick Online Entertainment 800,000 pounds (more than $1 million) for failing to implement age checks as required for compliance with the Online Safety Act.

Show More