Britain's Prime Minister Proposes New Porn Filtering Plan

LONDON — After British citizens soundly rejected government forced opt-in porn filtering just last week, British Prime Minister David Cameron is now asking for a new plan that prompts parents to state if there are children in the house when buying a new computer in an effort to shield them from adult material.

The new move is apparently a softball approach in pacifying conservative critics who felt the government didn’t keep its promise to enforce mandatory porn filtering from ISPs.

Cameron however claimed that having "default on" filters for new computers wasn’t suitable because it could also block non-porn sites, leading parents to turn the protection off in frustration.

The Prime Minister penned an article in the Daily Mail — the country’s most staunch supporter of porn filtering, that launched an aggressive pro-filtering campaign — and said the new proposals were designed to act against a "silent attack on innocence" and shield children from the "worries and complexities of adulthood.”

Under Cameron’s new plan, parents would be asked to set up filters when they buy a new computer.  If no options were chosen, then the strongest filters would be automatically activated. ISPs will be asked to verify that the users setting up the filter are over 18.

The Prime Minister is asking ISPs to submit a detailed proposal by February.

Cameron described the proposals as "kind of default on for houses with children; it’s just that it adds much more control for parents about exactly what is restricted.”

Conservative Minister Claire Perry has been tapped as Cameron’s adviser for the new push and is being charged with implementing a new web filtering system. Perry spearheaded the original opt-in porn filtering movement with a fervent media campaign and petition.

Perry said, "I am absolutely delighted that the Prime Minister has asked me to be his adviser on preventing the commercialization and sexualization [sic] of childhood. I am very much looking forward to helping the government introduce more robust filters for Internet content in our homes, working to improve age rating information on music videos, helping to improve education for parents and children about online safety and making sure the other excellent recommendations of the Bailey Report are implemented.”

But critics are decrying, “here we go again,” maintaining it's another form of government intrusion and that web filtering simply doesn’t work, citing the daunting task of applying the blocks to myriad types of operating systems and devices, and the ease of bypassing restrictions with tech workarounds or by simply finding passwords.

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Brazil Invites Public Input on AV Guidelines

Brazil’s National Data Protection Authority (ANPD) on Friday launched a public consultation on developing guidelines for age verification mechanisms under the country’s Digital Statute for Children and Adolescents (Digital ECA), which requires adult websites to age-verify users located in Brazil.

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More