Manhunt Founder’s Donation to McCain Not Returned

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. — A controversial personal donation made by Manhunt.net co-founder and CEO Jonathan Crutchley to John McCain’s presidential campaign was to have been returned, according to published reports. Records now show otherwise.

Manhunt is one of the industry’s largest gay networking websites. It earns an estimated $30 million per year from a primarily gay male customer base, according to an Out magazine profile.

The Politico.com blog examined last month’s campaign finance records and there is no record of the McCain campaign returning Crutchley’s donation.

“Indeed, while the contribution caused a bitter backlash against Crutchley inside the gay political world — and a backlash against that backlash — there was never any indication of a backlash from the Republican side,” Politico’s Ben Smith said.

“McCain has never been well suited to the role of culture warrior, and his aides declined at the time to comment on Crutchley or the contribution,” Smith added.

Crutchley was asked to step down from the Manhunt board of directors after news broke of his $2,300 donation to the McCain presidential campaign.

“According to Manhunt co-founder Larry Basile, he asked Crutchley to resign after members of the site began canceling their subscriptions,” XBIZ reported last month.

Basile issued a formal statement announcing Crutchley’s resignation and said that he was “embarrassed” when he found out about the donation.

In light of McCain’s mixed record toward gay rights and his stance against same-sex marriage, Basile said, “Politically, it was just off-base, with the whole feeling over here at Manhunt.”

Basile subsequently revealed to the Boston Herald that Crutchley has been told the money would be returned.

“So, if Smith is correct, Crutchley’s donation still sits in McCain’s coffers, working hard to defeat gay rights,” wrote gay blogger Andy Towle.

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

SWR Data Publishes 'Clip Trend' Report

Adult industry market research outfit SWR Data has published a report on the performance of clip platforms and sales.

Another German Court Rejects Blocking Orders Against Pornhub, YouPorn

A German court has blocked the Rhineland-Palatinate Media Authority (MA RLP) from forcing telecom providers based within the court’s jurisdiction to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

Ofcom Fines Kick Online Entertainment $1 Million for AV Noncompliance

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Thursday fined Kick Online Entertainment 800,000 pounds (more than $1 million) for failing to implement age checks as required for compliance with the Online Safety Act.

FSC Details Legislative Outlook for 2026

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has laid out the legislative outlook for the industry in 2026.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches by Country for December, January

AEBN has released the list of popular searches from its straight and gay theaters, by country, for December and January.

Jim Austin Joins CrakRevenue Team

Online industry veteran and business strategist Jim Austin has been hired by CrakRevenue.

Judge Dismisses NCOSE-Backed Suits Against Adult Sites Over Kansas AV Law

A federal judge on Tuesday dismissed lawsuits brought against two adult websites in Kansas for alleged violations of the state’s age verification law.

Aylo/SWOP Panel Spotlights Creators' Struggle for Digital, Financial Rights

Aylo and Sex Workers Outreach Project (SWOP) Behind Bars presented, on Tuesday, an online panel on creators’ rights, debanking and deplatforming.

AV Bulletin: Canada, Italy, Australia Updates

Since the Supreme Court’s decision in Free Speech Coalition v. Paxton, more state age verification laws have been enacted around the United States, as well as proposed at the federal level and in other countries. This roundup provides an update on the latest news and developments on the age verification front as it impacts the adult industry.

Holly Randall Soft Launches 'Wet Ink' Magazine

Holly Randall has officially soft-launched the creator-focused publication Wet Ink Magazine.

Show More