Adobe Backs Away From Promise to Bring Flash Player to iPhone

SAN JOSE, Calif. — Adobe systems appears to have backed away from a promise to develop a Flash-based media player for the Apple iPhone.

Earlier this week, Adobe Chief Executive Shantanu Narayen said his company would attempt to build a Flash player that would work on the iPhone.

"We believe Flash is synonymous with the Internet experience, and we are committed to bringing Flash to the iPhone," he said.

Narayen made this comment in the wake of an earlier admonition from Apple CEO Steve Jobs that the software wasn't ready to work on the iPhone platform yet.

What Jobs termed "proper" Flash "performs too slow to be useful" on the iPhone, he said. "There's this missing product in the middle. It just doesn't exist."

But yesterday Adobe issued a follow-up statement that stressed the importance of Apple's involvement with any Flash player Adobe might build for the iPhone.

"[T]o bring the full capabilities of Flash to the iPhone web-browsing experience, we do need to work with Apple beyond and above what is available through the SDK and the current license around it," the company said. "We think Flash availability on the iPhone benefits Apple and Adobe's millions of joint customers, so we want to work with Apple to bring these capabilities to the device."

The statement sparked concern on the web that Adobe would renege on its promise. Online guru Brandon Shalton told XBIZ that such backtracking is unusual for a large company.

"Maybe Apple wanted maybe money from them," said Shalton, who founded the traffic analysis service T3Report.com. "Who knows what the deal structure was that they were considering?"

The lack of a Flash-based player for iPhone-based applications means that adult websites, affiliate companies and content providers wouldn't be able to use the versatile platform to stream videos.

Matrix Content President Stephen Bugbee told XBIZ that even though his company has converted its entire library of content to Flash, he harbored doubts about the appeal of adult content on the device.

"The iPhone is great, but you really can't base a large business model on just being able to stream to an iPhone," Bugbee said. "Although it is nice if you can't do anything else."

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

FSC Updates Complaint in Tennessee AV Case, AG Motions to Dismiss

The Free Speech Coalition this week filed an amended complaint in its lawsuit challenging the Protect Tennessee Minors Act as unconstitutional, in response to which the Tennessee attorney general motioned for dismissal of the case.

Cherie DeVille Joins Woodhull Freedom Foundation 'Free Speech' Panel

Multi-XMAs winner Cherie DeVille will join the upcoming Woodhull Freedom Foundation panel series "Fact Checked by Woodhull," addressing free speech on Feb. 26.

Wisconsin AV Bill Moves Ahead, Minus Anti-VPN Provisions

The Wisconsin state Senate on Wednesday advanced a bill that would require adult websites to verify the ages of users, but approved an amendment striking proposed language that would have required sites to block virtual private network traffic.

Pineapple Support Introduces 'Wellbeing by PS' Service

Pineapple Support has debuted its new Wellbeing by PS service, providing mental health support packages for companies and agencies.

MyMember.site Integrates Bluesky Functionality

MyMember.site has added Bluesky features to its website management platform.

GirlsDoPorn Defendants Ordered to Pay Victims $75.5 Million

A federal court has ordered former GirlsDoPorn owner Michael Pratt and his co-defendants in the GDP sex trafficking case to pay restitution totaling $75,568,283.47 to 106 victims.

SWR Data Publishes 'Clip Trend' Report

Adult industry market research firm SWR Data has published a report on clip platform performance and sales.

Another German Court Rejects Blocking Orders Against Pornhub, YouPorn

A German court has blocked the Rhineland-Palatinate Media Authority (MA RLP) from forcing telecom providers based within the court’s jurisdiction to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

Ofcom Fines Kick Online Entertainment $1 Million for AV Noncompliance

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Thursday fined Kick Online Entertainment 800,000 pounds (more than $1 million) for failing to implement age checks as required for compliance with the Online Safety Act.

FSC Details Legislative Outlook for 2026

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has laid out the legislative outlook for the industry in 2026.

Show More