Jury to Consider 4 Counties in Ray Guhn Case

MILTON, Fla. — A circuit court judge ruled Tuesday that when the Ray Guhn obscenity case heads to trial, the jury must consider community standards of Escambia, Santa Rosa, Okaloosa and Walton counties in Florida.

Clinton McCowen, AKA Ray Guhn, faces charges on counts of conducting a criminal enterprise by engaging in prostitution and the manufacture and sale of obscene material. McCowen also faces racketeering and money laundering charges predicated on the underlying obscenity charge.

McCowen’s trial is set to begin on May 5. Lawrence Walters, who along with attorney Jerome Mooney is representing McCowen in the case, told XBIZ that he anticipates the trial will run approximately three weeks.

In a ruling issued Tuesday, Judge Ron Swanson held that jurors in the case should base their application of “community standards” under the Miller obscenity test based on the standards of the four panhandle counties, rather than just Santa Rosa county, where prosecutors refiled their charges against McCowen in July, after having originally indicted him in Escambia County.

Walters told XBIZ that the judge’s order was a partial victory for the defense, which had opposed the change of venue to Santa Rosa County.

“This case was filed in Escambia County, and we spent about a year preparing our defense based on the idea that Escambia’s community standards would be the relevant standards, and we thought it was totally inappropriate to move the case over to Santa Rosa,” Walters said.

Walters said that while bringing in the community standards of the entire four-county district was not ideal for defense purposes, it was preferable to having the case limited to the standards of Santa Rosa County alone, as Santa Rosa is considered a more socially conservative area than its neighboring counties.

“We believe that the prosecutorial maneuver of changing the venue to Santa Rosa has been eliminated,” Walters said. “As the court has ruled that the jury must consider the standards of all four counties, we can now go back and show them the materials we collected related to the standards of Escambia after all.”

While the court rejected all of the defense motions to dismiss the case, Walters said that he believes the court erred significantly in one area, and may have set the stage for an eventual appeal, should an appeal become necessary.

Earlier this month, Walters filed a motion to strike the obscenity charges from the indictment, arguing that that Florida’s obscenity laws do not apply to Internet-based materials. Swanson rejected that argument, but Walters said that he believes a higher court likely would disagree with Swanson’s ruling.

“I do not see how the Florida statute applies to the Internet at all,” Walters said, adding that the statute has been amended several times, and the Florida legislature had ample opportunity to include Internet-based obscenity under the statute and has never done so.

Walters called Swanson’s rejection of his statutory argument “a built-in appellate point” and said that the defense team now has moved on to considering what sort of evidence they can present at trial.

“This is a terribly complex case,” Walters said. “There will be some 50 or 60 witnesses, so we are already actively taking depositions.”

In addition to McCowen, Andrew Craft, Kevin Stevens, William Beach, Jane Dreka and Thomas Dwyer all face charges connected to the case.

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More