U.S. Dismisses All Obscenity Charges Against JM Productions

PHOENIX — XBIZ has confirmed that all obscenity charges against JM Productions and owner Jeff Steward were dropped in federal court today.

“The only official statement that we made was that charges were dropped,” JM Publicist Tony Malice told XBIZ. “I don't have much detail; that's basically all we know or can talk about.”

Malice did say that the charges were dropped by the government because of lack of evidence and that officials didn't feel there was enough of a case to pursue.

Ohio-based Louis H. Sirkin, attorney for JM, confirmed that the charges had been dropped, and quipped that the government had “recognized the superiority of counsel, and that they could not beat the firm of Sirkin, Pinales and Schwartz.”

“The government has dropped the charges against JM and Jeff Steward, acknowledging that they had insufficient evidence to show that our client had sold the videos [to Five Star],” Sirkin said.

Sirkin said that Kenneth Witten, the Justice Department prosecutor handling the case, moved to drop the charges after jury selection was completed. Asked if the move came as a surprise, Sirkin said that “it was our anticipation that the government would have trouble providing sufficient evidence against our client.”

”We did what we were supposed to do as lawyers,” Sirkin said. “We knew more about the law than the government did.”

Al Gelbard, attorney for Steward, told XBIZ he was “very pleased that the government couldn't make a case.”

“To their credit once the jury was in panel they realized that and they dismissed against us,” Gelbard said.

Charges are still pending against Five Star Video, Sirkin said, adding, “they are in good hands with Jeffrey Douglas” and the rest of their defense team.

Five Star faces obscenity charges connected with the distribution of the titles “Filthy Things 6,” “Gag Factor 15,” “Gag Factor 18” and “American Bukkake 13.”

As reported previously, the government has overseen the sale of the same videos in administering the business of Castle Megastores following that company’s declaration of bankruptcy.

Speaking at the XBIZ Summer Forum in July , Douglas called the government’s sale of the indicted videos “the kind of thing that defense attorneys dream about happening to them.”

Gelbard told XBIZ that Douglas and the rest of the Five Star defense team also can count on continuing assistance from the attorneys for JM.

“The sad fact is that they're continuing on against Five Star,” Gelbard said. “I think they've got a very good chance of being acquitted and we're going to do everything we can to help them.”

Douglas was unavailable for comment at press time.

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Clémence Audiard on Blending Gonzo With High-Style Eroticism

There's an unmistakable radiance that surrounds Clémence Audiard — a glow born of the power to manifest her own vision. With Clemence Crave, her self-funded and self-directed production house, Audiard has sculpted a universe entirely her own.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Sofie Marie Makes Her WIFEY Debut

Sofie Marie stars with her husband Spike, Dan Damage, and Isiah Maxwell in the latest release from Vixen Media Group studio imprint WIFEY.

Elegant Angel Debuts James Avalon Drama 'Summer & Joy'

Elegant Angel has released the first installment of the James Avalon-helmed drama "Summer & Joy."

Octavia Red Stars in 'Lipstick on the Glass' From Deeper

Reigning XMAs Girl/Girl Performer of the Year Octavia Red stars with Ashley Lane and Mannie Coco in "Lipstick on the Glass," from Vixen Media Group studio imprint Deeper.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

Lucy Mochi Makes Her Blacked Debut

Lucy Mochi has made her debut for Vixen Media Group (VMG) studio imprint Blacked, alongside Hollywood Cash, in the studio’s latest release.

Gia Derza Toplines Latest Volume of Pat Myne's 'Gape For Days'

Gia Derza headlines director Pat Myne's "Gape For Days 6," from Evil Angel.

Lovita Fate, Betzz Lead Latest From Immoral Productions

Lovita Fate and Betzz star in a new Immoral Productions trilogy alongside Matt Bird, Rob Hudson, and studio honcho “Porno Dan” Leal.

Show More