U.K. Watchdog Launches Porn Dialer Awareness Campaign

LONDON — Forced to take action after it was deluged with complaints from dial-up Internet customers whose connections had been hijacked by porn dialers, a U.K. watchdog agency has issued guidelines for consumers who may be victimized.

Porn dialers reroute a dial-up connection away from the Internet service provider's number and through a premium-rate phone number, typically to a company based overseas.

The Independent Committee for the Supervision of Standards of Telephone Information Services, which regulates premium-rate telephone services in the U.K., says disputed bills have topped $3.6 million, or £2 million.

A brochure from the ICSTIS explains how to distinguish legitimate dialer services from those that reroute dial-up connections by tricking consumers.

It also explains how consumers can lodge a complaint if they have been duped into downloading a dialer.

ICSTIS has introduced a licensing program for companies that operate such dialers, with on-screen guidelines before the Internet call is rerouted.

Since announcing a crackdown on rogue internet dialers, British telecommunications company BT says it has blocked 1,000 numbers allegedly associated with the problem.

The telecom said it has begun blocking Internet traffic to both U.K. and international numbers it suspects of being used by the porn dialers.

BT said it has now dealt with 45,000 cases where customers have fallen victim to a rogue dialer, with a further 9,500 cases waiting to be resolved.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Pineapple Support Introduces 'Wellbeing by PS' Service

Pineapple Support has debuted its new Wellbeing by PS service, providing mental health support packages for companies and agencies.

MyMember.site Integrates Bluesky Functionality

MyMember.site has added Bluesky features to its website management platform.

GirlsDoPorn Defendants Ordered to Pay Victims $75.5 Million

A federal court has ordered former GirlsDoPorn owner Michael Pratt and his co-defendants in the GDP sex trafficking case to pay restitution totaling $75,568,283.47 to 106 victims.

SWR Data Publishes 'Clip Trend' Report

Adult industry market research outfit SWR Data has published a report on the performance of clip platforms and sales.

Another German Court Rejects Blocking Orders Against Pornhub, YouPorn

A German court has blocked the Rhineland-Palatinate Media Authority (MA RLP) from forcing telecom providers based within the court’s jurisdiction to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

Ofcom Fines Kick Online Entertainment $1 Million for AV Noncompliance

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Thursday fined Kick Online Entertainment 800,000 pounds (more than $1 million) for failing to implement age checks as required for compliance with the Online Safety Act.

FSC Details Legislative Outlook for 2026

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has laid out the legislative outlook for the industry in 2026.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches by Country for December, January

AEBN has released the list of popular searches from its straight and gay theaters, by country, for December and January.

Jim Austin Joins CrakRevenue Team

Online industry veteran and business strategist Jim Austin has been hired by CrakRevenue.

Judge Dismisses NCOSE-Backed Suits Against Adult Sites Over Kansas AV Law

A federal judge on Tuesday dismissed lawsuits brought against two adult websites in Kansas for alleged violations of the state’s age verification law.

Show More