Cyber Blackmail Scheme Uses Child Porn as Bait

CYBERSPACE – A new cyber blackmail trend that security experts believe is generating from hackers in Russian and Eastern Europe is using child porn as a weapon to bilk users out of money.

Following in the footsteps of similar cyber extortionists who have used bribes of so-called distributed denial of service attacks (DDoS) and virus downloads, these yet-unidentified hackers are threatening to expose users by downloading child porn onto their hard drives.

Unless a small fee is paid, extortionist threaten to turn the user into the police to face prosecution as a pedophile.

Until the scam was discovered, many users opted to pay the bribe rather than face any potential embarrassment. Authorities are suggesting that anyone who receives a similar threat should report it immediately.

"The people who are sending these emails are the worst of the worst as they are preying on people’s concern for children and also their own safety," Joan Irvine, executive director for Adult Sites Against Child Pornography, told XBiz.

"Everyone is horrified about the existence of child pornography which is why they don’t know how to react when they receive such emails," Irvine said. "As suggested, contact your Internet service provider, your police department, and the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. Take action, but don’t pay."

According to experts, the emails are originating from Russia, one of the most active hacker regions in the world, and carry all the recognizable markings of organized gangs.

The success of the scam is also being attributed to targeting a specific demographic of a less tech savvy computer users who might be less apt to report the incident.

"Organized crime is a business – they've had an idea of how to change their market," said a representative for Britain's National High Tech Crime Unit.

This week's cyber porn scam follows the arrest of three hackers earlier this week who were allegedly involved in blackmailing Internet betting sites with threats of disabling their networks if financial demands weren't met. The hackers threatened to bombard the sites with a DDoS attack that would disable their web servers and cost millions in lost business.

The men were arrested in raids carried out in St Petersburg, Saratov and Stavropol in southwest Russia on Tuesday.

The gang is thought to have extorted hundreds of thousands of dollars from gaming sites, although authorities believe there are many more sites that have not yet reported the blackmail because of the low profile many gaming webmasters take in order to avoid attention from the law.

"It's blackmail, at the end of the day," stated the NHTCU. "If people don't report it and it continues, that doesn't help to resolve the problem."

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

UPDATED: Supreme Court Rejects Tariffs, Trump Responds

The U.S. Supreme Court on Friday ruled against the Trump administration’s sweeping tariffs, which have significantly impacted the pleasure industry, prompting the president to announce a new tariff strategy as a workaround.

FSC Updates Complaint in Tennessee AV Case, AG Motions to Dismiss

The Free Speech Coalition this week filed an amended complaint in its lawsuit challenging the Protect Tennessee Minors Act as unconstitutional, in response to which the Tennessee attorney general motioned for dismissal of the case.

Wisconsin AV Bill Moves Ahead, Minus Anti-VPN Provisions

The Wisconsin state Senate on Wednesday advanced a bill that would require adult websites to verify the ages of users, but approved an amendment striking proposed language that would have required sites to block virtual private network traffic.

GirlsDoPorn Defendants Ordered to Pay Victims $75.5 Million

A federal court has ordered former GirlsDoPorn owner Michael Pratt and his co-defendants in the GDP sex trafficking case to pay restitution totaling $75,568,283.47 to 106 victims.

Another German Court Rejects Blocking Orders Against Pornhub, YouPorn

A German court has blocked the Rhineland-Palatinate Media Authority (MA RLP) from forcing telecom providers based within the court’s jurisdiction to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

Ofcom Fines Kick Online Entertainment $1 Million for AV Noncompliance

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Thursday fined Kick Online Entertainment 800,000 pounds (more than $1 million) for failing to implement age checks as required for compliance with the Online Safety Act.

FSC Details Legislative Outlook for 2026

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has laid out the legislative outlook for the industry in 2026.

Judge Dismisses NCOSE-Backed Suits Against Adult Sites Over Kansas AV Law

A federal judge on Tuesday dismissed lawsuits brought against two adult websites in Kansas for alleged violations of the state’s age verification law.

Aylo/SWOP Panel Spotlights Creators' Struggle for Digital, Financial Rights

Aylo and Sex Workers Outreach Project (SWOP) Behind Bars presented, on Tuesday, an online panel on creators’ rights, debanking and deplatforming.

AV Bulletin: Canada, Italy, Australia Updates

Since the Supreme Court’s decision in Free Speech Coalition v. Paxton, more state age verification laws have been enacted around the United States, as well as proposed at the federal level and in other countries. This roundup provides an update on the latest news and developments on the age verification front as it impacts the adult industry.

Show More