Australia's Top Censor Unveils Plan to Block 'Extreme Pornography'

Australia's Top Censor Unveils Plan to Block 'Extreme Pornography'

CANBERRA, Australia — The head of Australia’s eSafety Office, the country’s official online regulator, has unveiled her proposal to censor adult content in the country.

In an interview with local newspaper The Australian, eSafety Commissioner Julie Inman Grant called the planned censorship measures a “child safety code,” although the position paper detailing the plan boasts the rather more general title, “Development of Industry Codes Under the Online Safety Act.”

Inman Grant told The Australian’s David Swan that her goal was to target “the likes of Facebook and Instagram, which she said had not done a good enough job of protecting their users — particularly children — from accessing violent and extreme pornography.”

“Much of our success is contingent on working with industry and using the carrot to the extent we can, and then we’ve got sticks to use,” Inman Grant told The Australian, deploying a corporal punishment metaphor.

Through the months during which she has been selling her proposal to the public, Inman Grant has continuously fudged the line between protecting children from what she calls “extreme pornography,” and creating censorship rules that affect all Australians regardless of age.

Neither Inman Grant nor the MPs who have demanded an age verification scheme have clarified how "extreme" pornography will be distinguished from "regular" pornography, or who would be in charge of making that decision.

Last week, Inman Grant boasted about appearing on a podcast from NCOSE, a religiously-inspired lobby formerly known as Morality in Media, whose avowed mission is “to eradicate all pornography.” NCOSE uses "pornography" as an umbrella term for all sexual expression, including Sports Illustrated magazine, works of literature and LGBTQ+ education materials.

“Thanks NCOSE for the opportunity to discuss Australia’s eSafetyOffice to combatting [sic] child sexual exploitation material and online access to inappropriate content for minors,” Inman Gran tweeted from her own account. “The approach of prevention, protection and proactive and systemic change will continue to drive our efforts," Australia’s national censor added.

She later removed the tweet after users began confronting her about her alliance with such a controversial American group .

Main Image: Australia’s eSafety Commissioner Julie Inman Grant

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Cherie DeVille Joins Woodhull Freedom Foundation 'Free Speech' Panel

Multi-XMAs winner Cherie DeVille will join the upcoming Woodhull Freedom Foundation panel series "Fact Checked by Woodhull," addressing free speech on Feb. 26.

Wisconsin AV Bill Moves Ahead, Minus Anti-VPN Provisions

The Wisconsin state Senate on Wednesday advanced a bill that would require adult websites to verify the ages of users, but approved an amendment striking proposed language that would have required sites to block virtual private network traffic.

Pineapple Support Introduces 'Wellbeing by PS' Service

Pineapple Support has debuted its new Wellbeing by PS service, providing mental health support packages for companies and agencies.

MyMember.site Integrates Bluesky Functionality

MyMember.site has added Bluesky features to its website management platform.

GirlsDoPorn Defendants Ordered to Pay Victims $75.5 Million

A federal court has ordered former GirlsDoPorn owner Michael Pratt and his co-defendants in the GDP sex trafficking case to pay restitution totaling $75,568,283.47 to 106 victims.

SWR Data Publishes 'Clip Trend' Report

Adult industry market research outfit SWR Data has published a report on the performance of clip platforms and sales.

Another German Court Rejects Blocking Orders Against Pornhub, YouPorn

A German court has blocked the Rhineland-Palatinate Media Authority (MA RLP) from forcing telecom providers based within the court’s jurisdiction to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

Ofcom Fines Kick Online Entertainment $1 Million for AV Noncompliance

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Thursday fined Kick Online Entertainment 800,000 pounds (more than $1 million) for failing to implement age checks as required for compliance with the Online Safety Act.

FSC Details Legislative Outlook for 2026

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has laid out the legislative outlook for the industry in 2026.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches by Country for December, January

AEBN has released the list of popular searches from its straight and gay theaters, by country, for December and January.

Show More