Justice Department Wants More Time to Respond to FOSTA Lawsuit

Justice Department Wants More Time to Respond to FOSTA Lawsuit

WASHINGTON — Justice Department attorneys have asked a federal judge to extend by two weeks their response to a lawsuit that challenges the constitutionality of FOSTA and seeks a preliminary injunction over the new law.

Woodhull Freedom Foundation and other plaintiffs sued the government last month following President Trump signing FOSTA into law in early April.

FOSTA, known formally as the Allow States and Victims to Fight Online Sex Trafficking Act, brings new tools for law enforcement, including the ability to bring criminal charges against the operators of sites that facilitate prostitution.

Woodhull and the other plaintiffs noted First and Fifth Amendments violations come with the law amending Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, which provided companies immunity from most liability for publishing third-party content.

Sex workers and civil liberties advocates have condemned FOSTA’s heavy-handed approach ever since legislation in both the Senate and House gathered steam.

Yesterday, Justice Department attorneys said they objected to Tuesday’s deadline to file an opposition to Woodhull’s motion for preliminary injunction.

Instead, the government has asked U.S. District Judge Richard Leon to approve a Friday, July 20, deadline for a response.

Woodhull and other plaintiffs, however, said they are opposed to any extension of time that goes past Monday, July 16

Additional time is needed to formulate a response in part because counsel from the Justice Department’s Child Exploitation and Obscenity Section was on a pre-arranged trip the past week and will return on Monday, the government said.

Leon likely will decide on the motion for an extension on Monday.

Check out Woodhull’s lawsuit here.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Sofie Marie Makes Her WIFEY Debut

Sofie Marie stars with her husband Spike, Dan Damage, and Isiah Maxwell in the latest release from Vixen Media Group studio imprint WIFEY.

Elegant Angel Debuts James Avalon Drama 'Summer & Joy'

Elegant Angel has released the first installment of the James Avalon-helmed drama "Summer & Joy."

Octavia Red Stars in 'Lipstick on the Glass' From Deeper

Reigning XMAs Girl/Girl Performer of the Year Octavia Red stars with Ashley Lane and Mannie Coco in "Lipstick on the Glass," from Vixen Media Group studio imprint Deeper.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

Lucy Mochi Makes Her Blacked Debut

Lucy Mochi has made her debut for Vixen Media Group (VMG) studio imprint Blacked, alongside Hollywood Cash, in the studio’s latest release.

Gia Derza Toplines Latest Volume of Pat Myne's 'Gape For Days'

Gia Derza headlines director Pat Myne's "Gape For Days 6," from Evil Angel.

Lovita Fate, Betzz Lead Latest From Immoral Productions

Lovita Fate and Betzz star in a new Immoral Productions trilogy alongside Matt Bird, Rob Hudson, and studio honcho “Porno Dan” Leal.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Lucy Mochi Performs 1st Studio Anal for Brazzers

Lucy Mochi performs her first studio anal scene opposite Scott Nails in the latest Brazzers release, "Fresh and Ready for Anal."

Show More