Obscenity Prosecutor Retires

HAMILTON, Ohio — An Ohio prosecutor whose specific duties were to fight obscenity has retired. With the retirement last month, the special unit to fight hardcore porn has disbanded, according to a report.

Steve Tolbert, who was tapped in 2001 to help Butler County Prosecutor Robin Piper fight obscenity, has been replaced by Glenn Rossi, who will not be replacing Tolbert in terms of the job description, according to the Hamilton Journal-News.

“He’s not in charge of everything the same as Steve was in charge of," Piper told the Journal-News. "He won’t be taking the role Steve had identically."

No reason was given for the restructuring and calls to county prosecutors by XBiz.com were not returned.

Butler County saw a plethora of outrage in the last decade by a group called “Citizens for Community Values,” a Cincinnati anti-smut group that wanted to see more prosecutions of nearly a dozen Butler County businesses that sold adult-oriented videos.

Tolbert, who received a reported $90,000 annual salary, may have been victim to his case win-loss record. Juries have acquitted defendants of obscenity charges in three cases in recent years, according to the Journal-News.

“This little rogue county probably didn’t have the wherewithal to keep his salary,” said J.D. Obenberger, who represents adult entertainment-oriented businesses. “A prosecutor should be winning 90 percent of his cases. If you get a prosecutor who is losing three in a row, he may not have a job in the future.”

Butler County’s task force was created in 2001 to focus on child pornography, child predators, Internet trafficking of obscenity and illegal pornography and obscenity. The county allocated $120,000 to Piper for the obscenity task force. The task force's cost for a full year of operation was $200,000, partly funded by “Citizens for Community Values.”

Obenberger, meanwhile, said that the state that brought attention to Larry Flynt, Tracy Lords and John Holmes, should rejoice of Tolbert’s retirement.

“If Tolbert wants, I’ll help him out with his going-away party,” Obenberger said.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

UPDATED: Supreme Court Rejects Tariffs, Trump Responds

The U.S. Supreme Court on Friday ruled against the Trump administration’s sweeping tariffs, which have significantly impacted the pleasure industry, prompting the president to announce a new tariff strategy as a workaround.

FSC Updates Complaint in Tennessee AV Case, AG Motions to Dismiss

The Free Speech Coalition this week filed an amended complaint in its lawsuit challenging the Protect Tennessee Minors Act as unconstitutional, in response to which the Tennessee attorney general motioned for dismissal of the case.

Wisconsin AV Bill Moves Ahead, Minus Anti-VPN Provisions

The Wisconsin state Senate on Wednesday advanced a bill that would require adult websites to verify the ages of users, but approved an amendment striking proposed language that would have required sites to block virtual private network traffic.

GirlsDoPorn Defendants Ordered to Pay Victims $75.5 Million

A federal court has ordered former GirlsDoPorn owner Michael Pratt and his co-defendants in the GDP sex trafficking case to pay restitution totaling $75,568,283.47 to 106 victims.

Another German Court Rejects Blocking Orders Against Pornhub, YouPorn

A German court has blocked the Rhineland-Palatinate Media Authority (MA RLP) from forcing telecom providers based within the court’s jurisdiction to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

Ofcom Fines Kick Online Entertainment $1 Million for AV Noncompliance

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Thursday fined Kick Online Entertainment 800,000 pounds (more than $1 million) for failing to implement age checks as required for compliance with the Online Safety Act.

FSC Details Legislative Outlook for 2026

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has laid out the legislative outlook for the industry in 2026.

Judge Dismisses NCOSE-Backed Suits Against Adult Sites Over Kansas AV Law

A federal judge on Tuesday dismissed lawsuits brought against two adult websites in Kansas for alleged violations of the state’s age verification law.

Aylo/SWOP Panel Spotlights Creators' Struggle for Digital, Financial Rights

Aylo and Sex Workers Outreach Project (SWOP) Behind Bars presented, on Tuesday, an online panel on creators’ rights, debanking and deplatforming.

AV Bulletin: Canada, Italy, Australia Updates

Since the Supreme Court’s decision in Free Speech Coalition v. Paxton, more state age verification laws have been enacted around the United States, as well as proposed at the federal level and in other countries. This roundup provides an update on the latest news and developments on the age verification front as it impacts the adult industry.

Show More