Police Shut Down 2nd Day of LALExpo

Police Shut Down 2nd Day of LALExpo

CARTAGENA, Colombia — Police today shut down Cartagena’s convention center on the second day of the 2017 Latin America Adult Business Expo after local protesters showed up at the cam-centric conference beating drums and blocking entrances.

No official word has been made from LALExpo organizers over plans for tomorrow, the final day of the three-day conference, which was primarily held at the Cartagena de Indias Convention Center.

The fourth annual LALExpo got underway yesterday to large crowds that attended seminars and the showroom floor, where scores of adult industry sponsors showed off their exclusive models and services they offer. More than 1,300 were expected for the conference and awards program.

Today, however, LALExpo attendees, were shut out of the convention center, and many moved on to the conference’s other events held off-site.

Some, warned by those who made the trek to the convention center earlier in the day, stayed back at the host hotel, which is about 20 minutes from the convention center.

Industry attorney Corey Silverstein, who attended the LALExpo, told XBIZ that organizers are using all of their legal resources to get the show on track for tomorrow’s final day of scheduled events.

“The government clearly doesn’t want the show at the convention center,” Silverstein said. “It really is ridiculous.”

Silverstein went on to say that the organizers did a great job preparing for the show and that the first day of the event was very well-attended.

“It is a shame that a small group of people would interrupt the show over the issue of free speech,” Silverstein said. “For all intents and purposes, LALExpo was a private event. It is unfortunate that the government would interfere.

According to a published report by local media, police closed off the convention center to LALExpo attendees today because organizers did not have the "necessary entitlements" to put the show on.

The report also stated that the “release of inappropriate videos and photos in the surroundings of the convention center and in front of the mayor's office were also taken into account to suspend the event.”

Two months ago, the mayor of Cartagena publicly sought a ban on the LALExpo at the convention center, citing that its presence could signal a stamp approval for sex tourism in the Colombian town.

But, at the time, organizers assured their legal rights for the show and said that the conference would go on as planned.

Related:  

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Proposed New Hampshire AV Bill Appears to Violate Constitution

A bill in the New Hampshire state legislature, aimed at requiring adult sites to age-verify users in that state, contains a provision that seemingly contradicts the Supremacy Clause in Article VI of the U.S. Constitution.

AEBN Publishes Report on Fetish Trends

AEBN has published a report on fetish categories from its straight and gay theaters.

Online Child Protection Hearing to Include Federal AV Bill

A House subcommittee will hold a hearing next week on a slate of bills aimed at protecting minors online, including the SCREEN Act, which would make site-based age verification of users seeking to access adult content federal law.

Industry Photographer, 'Payout' Founder Mike B Passes Away

Longtime industry photographer and publisher Michael Bartholomey, known widely as Mike B, passed away Saturday.

FSC Announces 2025 Board of Directors Election Nominees

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has announced the nominees for its 2025 Board of Directors election.

AdultHTML Launches Black Friday Web Design, Development Promo

AdultHTML has launched its annual Black Friday/Cyber Monday promo for web design and development, running through Dec. 5.

Canada Exempts Online Adult Content From 'CanCon' Quotas

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) has updated its broadcasting regulatory policies, exempting streaming adult content from “made in Canada” requirements that apply to other online material.

Creator Law Firm 'OnlyFirm' Launches

Entertainment attorney Alex Lonstein has officially launched OnlyFirm.com for creators.

German Court Puts Pornhub, YouPorn 'Network Ban' on Hold

The Administrative Court of Düsseldorf has temporarily blocked the State Media Authority of North Rhine-Westphalia (LfM) from forcing telecom providers to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

FSC: NC Law Invalidating Model Contracts Takes Effect December 1

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has issued a notice that North Carolina's Prevent Exploitation of Women and Minors Act goes into effect on December 1.

Show More