Rentboy.com CEO Pleads Not Guilty

Rentboy.com CEO Pleads Not Guilty

UPDATED (2:50 p.m.): Hurant makes statement after today's hearing. "I was not alone as I faced the frightening judicial juggernaut," he said.

BROOKLYN, N.Y. — Jeffrey Hurant, the former CEO of the gay escort website Rentboy.com, pleaded not guilty this morning to promoting prostitution and money laundering, but apparently he is trying to cut a deal with federal prosecutors.

Federal prosecutor Tyler Smith informed a magistrate judge today that Hurant and the government have been engaged in plea negotiations to resolve the case.

The 30-minute hearing at Brookly federal court was attended by Hurant’s supporters.

Gay rights activist William Dobbs, who was at the hearing today, told XBIZ that "several dozen people protested outside the courthouse calling for the charges to be dropped and for the decriminalization of sex work."

Last month, a federal grand jury indicted Hurant on two counts of using his parent company Easy Rent Systems as a front to promote prostitution and to launder money.

Hurant was released on a $350,000 bond after his August arrest and has defended his online hookup operation as perfectly legal.

Before authorities shut the website and offices down, Rentboy.com garnered about 500,000 unique visitors each day, according to an indictment.

Prosecutors said the website Hurant founded in 1997 took in at least $10 million in annual revenue.

According to the indictment, Hurant and staff charged advertisers up to about $300 per ad. Advertisers were encouraged to publish their penis size, build, indicate whether they had foreskin and whether they preferred to have safe sex or bareback sex.

Rentboy.com employees would monitor escorts' ads and reject suspicious ones that blatantly advertised sex. They would send emails back to users, saying: "If you describe a sex act to be performed in exchange for money, the authorities may use it as evidence in prosecuting you.”

The indictment also noted that Rentboy failed to verify ages of those who advertised on its site, especially in Asia since at least 2006.

Hurant is represented by attorney Michael Tremonte of Sher Tremonte LLP in New York. Tremonte is a former federal prosecutor who now handles commercial litigation and white collar defense.

Hurant, after the hearing today, posted on Facebook, “I want to thank everyone who braved the cold today and showed support at the courthouse.”

“I am humbly grateful for your efforts today,” Hurant said. “Your faces made me feel that I was not alone as I faced the frightening judicial juggernaut. I will be eternally grateful for that. I wish for support, strength and peace for everyone enduring struggles today and everyday.”

The next court date is a status conference set for March 15.

Pictured: Rentboy.com offices raided in August

View Hurant/Rentboy indictment

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Brazil Invites Public Input on AV Guidelines

Brazil’s National Data Protection Authority (ANPD) on Friday launched a public consultation on developing guidelines for age verification mechanisms under the country’s Digital Statute for Children and Adolescents (Digital ECA), which requires adult websites to age-verify users located in Brazil.

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Show More