Studio That Sued Over ‘Michael Lucas' La Dolce Vita’ Loses Again

LOS ANGELES — International Media Films, the mainstream film studio that filed an infringement lawsuit and lost against gay adult company Lucas Entertainment Inc. over “Michael Lucas' La Dolce Vita" several years ago, has lost again at federal court over the Federico Fellini classic.

U.S. District Judge James Otero last month signed a default judgment over the U.S. rights to "La Dolce Vita,” awarding $900,000 to Paramount.

Paramount claimed in November 2011 that International Media Films infringed on the copyright of "La Dolce Vita," which it secured through a deal with the movie's true owner, Melange Pictures.

According to Paramount’s lawsuit, International Media sent cease-and-desist letters to the mainstream studio, staking a claim of ownership in the film.

International Media alleged that its chain of title to the film rights originated from Cinemat's transfer of rights in 1980; it also questioned Paramount's right to distribute the movie, claiming that an earlier 1962 transfer was invalid.

But in June 2013, a federal judge granted partial summary judgment to Paramount, finding International Media provided no evidence that it holds chain of title to the film rights.

Years earlier, International Media tested infringement claims when it accused Lucas Entertainment of making an unauthorized porn version of "La Dolce Vita."

That case against the iconic gay porn brand lasted three years and was later dismissed because International Media was found to have lacked a credible documentation of its chain of title, as in the Paramount case.

At the time Lucas Entertainment founder CEO Michael Lucas said that the studio was lucky to have quality legal advice and the financial resources “to stand up to this bullying."

“Of course I can only guess at my opponents' motivations, but if they thought that they could get a quick payday by walking all over a porn company, they were sorely mistaken,” Lucas said at the time.

In the Paramount case, International Media was ordered to pay $475,000 in damages and $425,000 in attorneys fees and costs.

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Ameena Green on Delayed Gratification and Finding her 'Synthesis' Moment

In an industry that sometimes moves at breakneck speed, Ameena Green is taking it slow.

Pearl Industry Network Launches 'TrustLink' Verification Platform for Creators

Trade group Pearl Industry Network (PiN) has launched TrustLink, its free verification platform for creators.

Juliana Marie Makes Her West Coast Productions Debut

Juliana Marie has made her debut for West Coast Productions (WCP), alongside Jovan Jordan, in the studio’s latest release, titled “The Monster Tamer.”

Krystal Sparks, Nicky Huntsman & Natalia Starr Front 'Austin Powers' Parody From MYLF

Krystal Sparks, Natalia Starr, and Nicky Huntsman star with Quinton James in a new “Austin Powers” parody from MYLF.

Scarlet Chase Stars in 'Slippery Sloppy Slut' From SecretCrush

Evil Angel has released the latest scene from Scarlet Chase's SecretCrush brand, titled "Slippery Sloppy Slut."

UPDATED: Supreme Court Rejects Tariffs, Trump Responds

The U.S. Supreme Court on Friday ruled against the Trump administration’s sweeping tariffs, which have significantly impacted the pleasure industry, prompting the president to announce a new tariff strategy as a workaround.

Ricky's Room Releases New Title 'Gemini's Room'

Ricky’s Room has released its Baby Gemini showcase, "Gemini’s Room," on DVD.

Candee Licious, Zazie Skymm Star in Latest From MixedX

Candee Licious and Zazie Skymm star in the latest release from MixedX, titled “The Other Memory.”

FSC Updates Complaint in Tennessee AV Case, AG Motions to Dismiss

The Free Speech Coalition this week filed an amended complaint in its lawsuit challenging the Protect Tennessee Minors Act as unconstitutional, in response to which the Tennessee attorney general motioned for dismissal of the case.

Show More