.XXX Operator ICM Registry Wins Right to Operate .Sex

MIAMI — ICM Registry, the operator of .xxx, .adult and .porn, has won the right to operate the .sex gTLD.

Internet Marketing Solutions Ltd., a competing applicant for .sex, has withdrawn its application, leaving ICM Registry's bid as the sole applicant for .sex.

Stuart Lawley, CEO of ICM Registry, told XBIZ that his company acquired the rights to .sex in a transaction for the gTLD. 

The agreement "is subject to confidentiality but in essence we bought the other applicant out, and he has no continued interest in .sex," said Lawley, who did not disclose terms of the buyout.

"We are happy with the terms of the deal and I believe it shows our commitment to the adult space and our existing customers," he said.

Today's news opens up new opportunities for those adult brands seeking to carve space in the market. Last year ICM Registry disclosed it was moving forward with its "grandfathering program" that allocates the .porn, .adult, and now .sex equivalent automatically for the corresponding .xxx holder with no obligation to buy.

ICM Registry Vice President Stephen Winyard in July's XBIZ World said that the first two additional TLDs, .porn and .adult, are currently going through the final launch and planning stages. Winyard told XBIZ that the registry hasn't announced an operational date yet for those two TLDs.

"There are many moving parts involved in bringing a new extension to the market, particularly in the new cluttered TLD environment and ensuring compliance with ICANN's rigorous rules and policies and we are still hopeful of a late Q4 go live this year," he said.

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Brazzers Launches Model Management Division 'Brazzers Creator'

Brazzers has launched its new full-service model management division, Brazzers Creator, offering content management services across multiple platforms.

FTC Promises 'Vigorous' TAKE IT DOWN Act Enforcement

The Federal Trade Commission is warning platforms that the agency will strongly enforce the notice-and-removal requirements of the TAKE IT DOWN Act, which go into effect next week on May 19.

STD Hero Joins Pineapple Support as Sponsor

Better Life Science brand STD Hero has joined the ranks of over 70 adult businesses and organizations committing funds and resources to Pineapple Support.

2026 XBIZ Miami Speaker, Open-Floor Conversation Guide Lineup Announced

XBIZ is pleased to announce the release of the full speaker lineup for XBIZ Miami, the latest edition of the adult industry’s premier summer conference, set to take place May 11-14 at the Goodtime Hotel in Miami Beach.

2026 XBIZ Miami Conference Schedule Announced

XBIZ is pleased to announce the release of the full show schedule for XBIZ Miami, set to take place May 11-14 at the Goodtime Hotel in South Beach.

UPDATED: Utah VPN Rule Enforcement Paused in Aylo Lawsuit

Provisions of a new Utah law making adult websites liable if minors in the state circumvent geolocation efforts to bypass age verification, which were set to come into force on Wednesday, have been put on hold until Sept. 3 in the case of Aylo, which filed suit in the matter.

Show More