British Internet Expert Calls on Google to Block Porn

LONDON — A British government child protection adviser is calling on Google to block access to hardcore porn sites.

John Carr, a member of the Internet Task Force on Child Protection reportedly blamed search engines as a gateway to websites advertising "Teen Sex" and "Barely Legal" that he said are code words for pedophiles seeking images of child abuse.

The Internet expert wants "default" blocking on search engines that would force users to register to view porn. He plans on raising the issue in a meeting with Google and the next gathering of the government's Internet task force.

"Google's moral leadership is essential here. They are the biggest players in this world. If they [were to block it], others would have to follow," Carr told the BBC Radio Four's Today program.

Carr’s actions have been sparked by Britain’s concern over the link between extreme porn and violent crime, citing the murder of five-year-old April Jones, whose murderer — Mark Bridger — reportedly had been looking at indecent online images of child abuse and rape shortly before the crime.

A Google spokesman said Internet companies are working "incredibly hard" to prevent people accessing images of child abuse.

Some child protection groups suggest that web companies introduce online warnings, threatening possible prosecution when users attempt to access explicit sites.

A confidential British hotline used to flag criminal content online revealed that it had seen a 32 percent increase in reports of images showing the rape and sexual torture of children.

Scott Rubin, the director of communications and public affairs at Google told The Telegraph, “Google has a zero-tolerance policy on child sexual abuse content. We are members and joint funders of the Internet Watch Foundation, an independent body that searches the web for child abuse imagery and then sends us links, which we remove from our search index. When we discover child abuse imagery or are made aware of it, we respond quickly to remove and report it to the appropriate law enforcement authorities.”

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Better Life Science Launches 'Affiliate and Influencer' Initiative

CLIA-certified laboratory network Better Life Science has launched its affiliate and influencer program.

Cherie DeVille Joins Woodhull Freedom Foundation 'Free Speech' Panel

Multi-XMAs winner Cherie DeVille will join the upcoming Woodhull Freedom Foundation panel series "Fact Checked by Woodhull," addressing free speech on Feb. 26.

Wisconsin AV Bill Moves Ahead, Minus Anti-VPN Provisions

The Wisconsin state Senate on Wednesday advanced a bill that would require adult websites to verify the ages of users, but approved an amendment striking proposed language that would have required sites to block virtual private network traffic.

Pineapple Support Introduces 'Wellbeing by PS' Service

Pineapple Support has debuted its new Wellbeing by PS service, providing mental health support packages for companies and agencies.

MyMember.site Integrates Bluesky Functionality

MyMember.site has added Bluesky features to its website management platform.

GirlsDoPorn Defendants Ordered to Pay Victims $75.5 Million

A federal court has ordered former GirlsDoPorn owner Michael Pratt and his co-defendants in the GDP sex trafficking case to pay restitution totaling $75,568,283.47 to 106 victims.

SWR Data Publishes 'Clip Trend' Report

Adult industry market research firm SWR Data has published a report on clip platform performance and sales.

Another German Court Rejects Blocking Orders Against Pornhub, YouPorn

A German court has blocked the Rhineland-Palatinate Media Authority (MA RLP) from forcing telecom providers based within the court’s jurisdiction to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

Ofcom Fines Kick Online Entertainment $1 Million for AV Noncompliance

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Thursday fined Kick Online Entertainment 800,000 pounds (more than $1 million) for failing to implement age checks as required for compliance with the Online Safety Act.

FSC Details Legislative Outlook for 2026

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has laid out the legislative outlook for the industry in 2026.

Show More