'Revenge Porn' Legislation Dies in Florida

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — A proposal to target and imprison operators of "revenge porn" websites who disseminate nude photos without the subject's consent has died in Florida's Legislature.

Both HB 787 and companion bill SB 946 died on second reading on Friday, the last day of Florida's legislative session.

A spokeswoman for state Sen. David Simmons, who sponsored the bill in the Senate, told XBIZ that she wasn't sure whether the bill would be taken up again next year when the Legislature meets again in March.  

Florida's revenge porn bill, HB 787, introduced by state Rep. Tom Goodson, prohibited "knowing use of [content] that depicts nudity and contains any of depicted individual's personal identification information or counterfeit or fictitious information purporting to be such personal identification information, without first obtaining depicted person's written consent."

The proposal provided for enhanced penalties for violations involving the posting of victims younger than 16 years of age.  It also targeted perpetrators who reside out of state but post online content involving offended in-state residents.

"An offense is committed within this state if any conduct that is an element of the offense or any harm to the depicted person, including any harm to the depicted person's privacy interests, resulting from the offense occurs within this state," language of the bill says.

Violators of HB 787 would have been subject to a third-degree felony that is punishable by up to five years in prison, five years probation and a $5,000 fine.

Last month, adult industry attorney Lawrence Walters said his firm represents many adult clients who expressed concern that the enactment of such legislation would result in a variety of unintended consequences and increased legal exposure for their business operations.

Walters noted at the time that Florida's proposal appeared to be both vague and overbroad, in violation of the First and Fourteenth Amendments.

"When faced with a choice of continuing to enforce some level of publishing standards or incurring potential criminal liability under the proposed Florida statute, service providers may well dispense with any level of review or editorial moderation to avoid potential liability," Walters said in a legal memorandum in March. "This would result in the presumably unintended consequence of permitting the publication of widespread, un-moderated content on social networking sites throughout the nation."

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More